Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jan 1-7, 2024

I have completed two hundred (200) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. During the first week of the new year, I returned to many of my activities. Besides genealogy activities, I did phenology in the meadow, hiked with Wednesday Hikers, and attended a funeral for a former train club member.  

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
This week our certification peer group met and the five of us stated our 2024 goals. We decided to meet next month and discuss the first chapter in the Advanced Genetic Genealogy: Techniques and Case Studies, edited by Debbie Parker Wayne.

Genealogy Writing/Research
This week I worked on downsizing files from a drawer in the file cabinet, primarily my father’s family: Tierney, Gleeson, and Sullivan. I still have the Hork family to do next. I am hoping to get all the saved paper files into just a few document boxes. While working on these families, I did some newspaper research to locate digital copies of paper articles I had, so I didn’t have to scan them. I also found other articles!

On Sunday, I started analyzing my RootsMagic database from my daughters forward, making sure I can document the child-parent relationship. I then remembered Yvette Hoitink’s Level-up Challenge and filled out her supplied chart for both my and my husband’s ancestors. The blog post about that will be published on Wednesday. 

Blog Posts Published:

Family Lore – Do We Have Native American Ancestry? I wrote about the stories of having Native American ancestors, though I have not found any evidence yet.

Downsizing Genealogy Files is Hard. I wrote about how I am going through my genealogy paper files and deciding what to keep and what to toss. Many of the items I’m tossing are being scanned first.

SNGF: Your Very Best Genealogy Finds in 2023. I highlighted the three blog posts I wrote last year discussing some new findings.   

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
I posted the press release for the upcoming 2024 schedule of the BCG-sponsored webinars. This week was the first back to the Oakland FamilySearch Center. There were more staff than researchers, so I got to spend time scanning at the copy machine. Two trips to the History Center this week and I worked on the library database.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:
Artificial Intelligence and Genealogy: New Beginnings in 2024 by Steve Little (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

Other: We hiked at Inspiration Point in Tilden Park because it is an asphalt trail and it had rained the night before. New growth is coming up and Elaine and I walked slowly checking out what plants were coming up. I love it after a rain when the variety of fungi spring up.

 I am reading:

  • The Girls Who Fought Crime: The Untold True Story of the Country’s First Female Investigator and Her Crime Fighting Squad by Mari K Eder—FINISHED!
  • White Bird by R.J. Palacio—FINISHED!
  • From a Far and Lovely Country by Alexander McCall Smith

Photos for this week. From the Tilden Park hike.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments