Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Mar 11–17, 2024

I have completed two hundred and ten (210) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. This week besides the History Center, I birdwatched, phenology, and worked the the Train Club shows on Saturday and Sunday.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
Jacqueline and I discussed the new search feature at FamilySearch and a little about our Texas trip. We hosted Roundtable on Wednesday and the ninety minutes went by fast with so much sharing. Amigos met with Jacqueline and Stewart. We talked about our blog posts being shared by others on Facebook.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I did no new research but spent time processing the files I had collected from Newspapers.com and FamilySearch last week. I still have more to do.

Blog Post Published:

Who Attended College? For 52 Ancestors, I investigated who in my ancestry attended college. Those who did on my father’s side were women who attended teacher’s colleges, while those on my mother’s side were men who attended college and went into the military.

SNGF: Are You a Descendant of Irish Ancestry? The answer is yes and I wrote about my father’s mother’s side of the family and shared screenshots of my ethnicity from Ancestry.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
On Tuesday at the History Center, I answered queries and added more subjects for books in the library. Thursday, we had a board meeting on Zoom and I took the minutes.

I hosted the board meeting for the Sonoma County Genealogical Society on Tuesday. We still have no candidates for the upcoming election. On Saturday, I gave a presentation to them on “How to Leave Your Genealogy.”

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • Genetic Genealogy Turns 25: DNA Experts Tell Their Stories hosted by Diahan Southard (RootsTech 2024)
  • Research Planning by Jill Morelli (Seattle Genealogical Society)

Other:
Monday, I birded with the Mt. Diablo Bird Alliance at McNabney Marsh and the Mt View Sanitation District ponds. Added a few birds to my year list. Wednesday, our hike this week was at the Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve and we hiked about 3.5 miles. Lots of wildflowers but the manzanitas were past blooming.

Our train club had a show this weekend and I spent time being a trackwalker in the set-up both days.  

I also spent time pulling more weeds in the backyard before the ground dries up. We had two days of the north wind, which tends to dry things out quickly.

I am reading:

  • Sweetness All Around by Suzanne Supplee—FINISHED!
  • Board to Death by CJ Connor
  • Germans in America by Walter D. Kamphoefner

Photos for this week.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. The yellow flower is spectacular. Spring has sprung! And you had a busy genealogy week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.