Skip to main content

SNGF -- What Have You Done at RootsTech 2024?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!





Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has an assignment for us tonight:

What have you done at RootsTech 2024 so far (we're on the third day), either in-person or online?  What have been the highlights for you so far?

Here's mine:
I am one of those #NotAtRootsTech. I chose to stay home and view some of the presentations online. 

Thursday, I viewed the following:

“Where did you find that? Effective searches on FamilySearch.org.” This was given by Debbie Gurtler, who works for FamilySearch. She showed all the ways to search on the website and had great tips on searching, understanding the results page, and filtering the results.

“Digging into Finding Aids: The Road Map to Any Manuscript Collection” by Melissa Barker, who is an archivist in Tennessee. She gave details on the parts of a finding aid and the handout included a sample. She then covered all the kinds of repositories that have manuscript collections. I volunteer at a historical society and have created many finding aids and was pleased that I followed pretty much what she showed us.

I scheduled three other presentations but had other tasks I had to do, so hope to see them in the recordings:

  • Thomas MacEntee, “Genealogy A to Z: A Trivia Adventure”
  • Judy Nimer Muhn, “Researching in Ontario: Your Trillium Connection!
  • Debbie Gurtler & Lynn Turner, “Why You Need to Come to the FamilySearch Library.”

Friday, I viewed the following:

“The Homestead Act and Southern Black Homesteaders,” by Jessica Korgie and Bernice Alexander Bennett. Jessica is a NPS ranger and she spoke about the program to help document black homesteaders. Bernice spoke about her homesteading ancestors in southern states.

“Reconstructing the Lives of Our Female Irish Ancestors” by Stephanie O’Connell. Stephanie is a certified genealogist who does Irish research, so I was interested in how she located women in Ireland.

I plan to watch the recordings of:

  • Nicole Gilkison LaRue, “Did My Family Get Skipped? Mining Census Records for Missing Ancestors”
  • Melissa Barker, “Church Records in Archives”

Saturday, I viewed:

Diseases our Ancestors Faced and How Those Illnesses Changed Our World,” by Gregory C Gardner. He is a physician and he told some of the history of diseases, particularly the plague, but also spoke on tuberculosis, teething, and other diseases and illnesses.

I plan to watch:

  • Judy G. Russell, “Unexpected Treasures: Family History in the American State Papers”
  • David Ryan, “From the Ashes: The 1922 Irish Public Record Office”
  • Diahan Southard, “You Can Do the DNA #4—See What DNA Success Looks Like: Real Case Studies”

Conclusion
I enjoyed the sessions I watched, and seeing only a couple a day was just right. I’ll need to make a plan to view the ones I missed once they become available. I was extremely disappointed there were no “advanced” sessions, especially the ones presented by BCG genealogists. These weren’t even recorded. 

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I've heard that the talk about diseases was really interesting. that's one I still need to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't originally have it on my list. I was sitting here at 8 wondering what to watch and picked that one. Glad I did.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.