Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of August 10–16, 2026

Outside activities included phenology, History Center, hike, and lunch in Orinda.

Genealogy

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I volunteered twice at the History Center again this week. I worked putting more items away on Tuesday, and on Saturday worked with entering collections into PastPerfect and the Online Archive of California. I led the writer’s group and we discussed Margaret’s submission and talked about citations.

Genealogy Meetings: 
This week I met with my accountability group, military SIG, and two sessions of Level Up.  

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I have spent time writing but didn’t get much completed or published on the blog. Part of the reason is the two courses I’m taking during the week.

Blog Posts Published:

What to do about Multiple Sources for One Event
For the them of “Multiples,” I wrote about how I analyze and correlate multiple sources and pieces of information.

SNGF: An Unusual Newspaper Article About Your Ancestors
I wrote about my mother’s photograph with Louis Armstrong.

Courses Attended
I attended two sessions of the Mastering Genealogical Proof study group on Monday and Thursday along with completing two homework assignments, and the first class of the Researching Your South Carolina Roots course on Tuesday.

Webinars Viewed:
I viewed the following webinars, catching up on some I have missed:

  • Citations Made Simple: Strategies for Every Genealogist by Lisa Stokes (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Forgotten Records: U.S. Treasury Records RG 217 by Craig R Scott (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • A Not-So-Splendid Little Process: From Research to Publication by Michael L Strauss (APG Writers SIG)

Other:
Monday, we drove our daughter to the airport for her return home. Our hike this week was at Knox/Miller Regional Park in Richmond, where it was cool but the views of the bay were very nice. On Friday, I had lunch with friends, Nancy and Terry.

I am reading: 

  • The Dog Who Followed the Moon by James Norbury—FINISHED!
  • The Old Success by Martha Grimes—FINISHED!
  • Das große Giggler Geheimnis by Roddy Doyle
  • Ancestoring: Understanding Records, Family, and Ourselves by Darci Hind Posz

Photos for this week. 




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives, but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2011-2026 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments