Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of August 24–30, 2026

Outside activities included gym, phenology, History Center, trip to the Google Store, and dinner at Original Joes.

Genealogy

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I volunteered twice at the History Center again this week, working with Traci and John on the Betty Maffei collection on Monday and my regular shift on Tuesday, where I opened.

Genealogy Meetings: 
I attended the RootsMagic SIG and met with Jacqueline for last minute plans for her trip – she’ll be arriving this coming week.  

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I wrote about Samuel & Elizabeth Johnston in Texas & Mississippi, then wrote about Reuben’s wife, Oliva Jones’ family.

Blog Posts Published:

Samuel Johnston’s Land in Yalobusha County, Mississippi on a Map
For the theme of “a spot on a map,” I wrote about how I found Sam’s land on a map.

SNGF: Describe One of Your Own, or an Ancestor’s, Life Turning Point
I wrote about my early career decisions.

Courses Attended
I again attended the last two sessions of the Mastering Genealogical Proof study group on Monday and Thursday. The rewrite of the book is well done, but what else can one expect from Tom Jones. Jill led the class well and the rest of the students seemed to get a lot out of it. 

I also attended the third class of the Researching Your South Carolina Roots course on Tuesday. We learned about South Carolina libraries and archives.

Webinars Viewed: I viewed no webinars this week.

Other:
Instead of going on the hike, I met with four local genealogy friends for lunch at Jack’s in Pleasant Hill. It’s always great meeting up with them and sharing what we’ve been up to.

I also have been dealing with my phone. It died. We tried driving to Mountain View to the Google Store on Saturday but were caught in traffic. We made it there on Sunday and bought a new phone but couldn’t get it working because the old phone is dead. So home we went, but the app on my computer that receives text messages or codes (2-factor verification) stopped working because it can’t see the old dead phone. Plus, the new phone can’t connect to our hidden wifi. I’m not sure what to do now. It’s weird not having a working phone.

I am reading: 

  • Traveling Black: A story of race and resistance by Mia Bay
  • The Liberation Line: The untold story of how American Engineering and ingenuity won World War II by Christian Wolmar
  • Das große Giggler Geheimnis by Roddy Doyle
  • Ancestoring: Understanding Records, Family, and Ourselves by Darci Hind Posz

Photos for this week. 

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives, but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2011-2026 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments