Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- My Thanksgiving Day

It's Saturday Night -

 Time For More Genealogy Fun!

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

A)  We all need to document some of the special moments in our lives so we can recall them, or our descendants can learn more about us.  Today's question is "What was your Thanksgiving Day like this year?"

Here's mine:

This year, Thanksgiving was uneventful for me. I woke in the morning with a sore throat, though I tested negative for Covid.

Our plan was to spend the day with our daughter, Elizabeth. We had most of the fixings: the turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, and gingerbread muffins.

We prepared the muffins the day before from a recipe adapted from a Southern Pacific Railroad chef that served the muffins aboard the Sunset Limited in the 1940s and 50s. They tasted pretty good. I also baked a batch of gluten-free cornbread for the dressing.

On Thanksgiving, I prepared cornbread dressing with oversized bread cubes, cornbread, onions, celery, parsley, and lots of chicken bone broth. I had to guess on the measurements since I was making a much smaller batch than my mom’s recipe.

At Elizabeth’s, my husband and Elizabeth did all the cooking. She also prepared roasted vegetables and broccoli rabe. I stayed out of the kitchen, masked up. I brought a book that I finished reading and then played with my jigsaw puzzle game on the iPad.

Dinner was delicious, at least as far as I could taste it. I took no photos of the meal or of each other. I did get a chance to speak to our daughter, Margaret, who lives in New York City, but who was in Maryland with her roommate. She was feeling under the weather, too.

Two days later, I’m still sick and have missed events at the local model train club and at my brother-in-law’s. But I’m getting a lot of reading done!


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Your holiday meal sounds very tasty. Glad you don't have covid and hope that you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tasty. I now have a cough deep in my chest. No fever.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.