Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- "Friendly Fill-Ins" for Thanksgiving

It's Saturday Night -

Time For More Genealogy Fun!

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:

A)  This is a fun meme from 2016, thanks to Suzanne McClendon on the P.S. Annie blog for the links.

B)  Fill in the blanks for these four statements:

      1. One Thanksgiving tradition I have is __________________________.

      2. Black Friday ______________________________________________.

      3. The best part about Thanksgiving Day is _______________________.

      4. One Thanksgiving, _________________________________________.

C)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook post.

Here’s mine:

Well, it’s not Saturday night, but Sunday morning, after being up super early due to the end of Daylight Savings Time.

1. One Thanksgiving tradition I have is fixing stuffing/dressing made of cornbread and bread cubes, with onions, celery, and hard-boiled egg crumbles, and putting the turkey giblets and hard-boiled egg into the gravy. This is a tradition passed down from my Texas-born grandmother, Pansy Louise Lancaster Johnston. I wish I had asked how she learned it. Likely from her own mother, Lela Nell Loveless Lancaster. My daughters don’t care for stuffing, so I doubt it will be passed on in my immediate family. Who knows, maybe one of my siblings will.

2. Black Friday never had any tradition growing up. As kids, it was a day to play. As an adult, I did spend a couple of Black Fridays with my mother-in-law, Thelma Nilsen Gorrell shopping at the mall and other stores in the Sacramento area.

3. The best part about Thanksgiving Day is eating a meal with family. Most of the time it is turkey. When our parents were alive, it was often tough to make decisions on which house to go to. Norman’s sister came down from Idaho every other Thanksgiving, which gave us more pressure to go up to his parent’s house. Sometimes my mother hosted, and sometimes one of my brothers or sisters hosted. One year, we went to my Aunt June’s home.

4. One Thanksgiving, we all got sick with Hong Kong flu. It didn’t happen at once, but over the weekend, each of us succumbed to it and we were sick well into the following week.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I love that you, too, have a stuffing recipe passed down in the family. It's sad that your daughters don't like stuffing. I like stuffing more than the turkey - even more than the dessert. You'll have to encourage your siblings to pass it down then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have the recipe because my mother made us recipe books when we married. So there is a chance. I agree. The dressing is the best part of Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  2. My maternal grandmother made stuffing with all of the ingredients you mentioned. It was the best stuffing ever. Sadly I never got that recipe either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.