Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Nov 7–13, 2022

I have completed one hundred forty (140) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I volunteered at the History Center on Tuesday and met Jacqueline for lunch on Monday. Then spent four days with three friends in a cabin in Truckee.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Ghost Story. I shared a photo of myself dressed as a ghost for a Halloween party.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: A Favorite Photo of Your Father I chose a photo of him when he was about 14.

Meetings/Discussion Groups
I attended no discussion groups this week.

Volunteer/Client Work
I took the minutes at the Sonoma County Genealogical Society’s board of directors meeting. I also hosted the California Genealogical Society’s Roundtable meeting.

I taught the last AppGen Foundations 2 course on Thursday. I think everyone was sad to have the class end. I'll still have some homework to comment on and then send out the evaluations for the class. My next class will be on probate records.

Own Work
I have spent the past four days on a genealogy retreat with three other genealogy friends. We stayed at one friend’s cabin in Truckee and worked on our own projects. I continued working on the Ruben Mack Johnston genealogy and got through six of his children down as far as I could using the resources on Ancestry. In the later timeframes, I had to rely on indexes. Thankfully, Texas indexes take me out into the late 20th century. I think I see some of the offspring in my DNA matches.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Migration of European Ancestors by Nancy Loe (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

I am reading:

  • Homesteading the Plains by Richard Edwards, et al
  • The Resistance Man by Martin Walker

Other:
I went on a hike to the Berkeley shore on Wednesday and was feeling it by the end of the day. We walked about 4 miles. The view of San Francisco and the bay was nice after the rain.

Photos for this week: My happy place this weekend.





Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments