Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of July 16-22, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
I helped a researcher who came into the History Center this week to do some research in court records on men from China. She actually found quite a bit of information in our loose files.

We had a very nice conversation with Tom Jones at our Writers SIG meeting. He gave us some great tips about writing and editing. What I took away from the talk: write about the person, not the research. Find the theme and weave that into the story: introduce it, draw it out in the narrative, and then end with theme.

Watched a webinar about numbering genealogies, given by Alice Vogt Veen and then made more changes to my numbering in my KDP.  I have decided that I’m done making changes. It still matches the examples in Numbering Your Genealogy but I learned the difference between styles in the Register and the NGS Quarterly systems.  We have a new member in our Certification peer group.

Attended another presentation given by Gena Philibert-Ortega given at California Genealogical Society library. She spoke about the 1920s and gave us a taste of food and spoke about many activities of the era. A bonus was I transported her to the library and back, so got extra time with her. I also volunteered at the library at the desk. It was very quiet.

We continued to work on the presentation proposals for the IGGC and getting closer to having our choices finalized.

Blog Writing: Blog post I wrote this week:

Other
We visited our daughter, Elizabeth, in Sebastopol. We first ate at Handline where I tried the tacos and tostadas. We then checked out the progress on the cocktail bar. Then we took a hike on a watershed trail that is included in the new map of restaurants, wineries, and hiking trails in West Sonoma County. Check out this blog post written by Elizabeth about the map. After that hike, we continued toward Highway 1 and made a stop at the beach. We drove back to Sebastopol through Bodega Bay. Dinner was eaten at Lowell’s. It was a very nice day.




Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments