Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 25-July 1, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
At the History Center, I attended the presentation on our new database program, PastPerfect, given by Scott to all of the volunteers who could attend. They have made good progress so far—the maps have been added so far. A new query came in about the history of her house in Kensington. Will work on that next Tuesday.

I contacted a previous client about permission to use the research report for the certification portfolio and she has given me permission. I have just one more element to finish. Yeah! It would be nice to finish it up and send off before our trip to England.

I attended two webinars live this week:
  • The first webinar of the new Virtual Genealogical Society: “Future Trends in the Genealogical Industry,” by Thomas MacEntee.
  • APG webinar for the upcoming Professional Management Conference “Within a 60-Mile Radius: Kansas City—The Midwest Gateway to Genealogical Resources” by Kathleen Brandt.

I participated in the DearMyrtle AmericaGen Study Group, using Val Greenwood’s new book Researcher’s Guide to American Genealogy. We discussed Chapter 5 “Libraries and National Archives” and I discussed specially the resources I used when I took a research trip to Conway, Arkansas.

Blog Writing: Blog posts I wrote this week:
  • “7th Blogiversary!” It’s really hard to believe I’ve been writing for seven years. I’ve been much more active this year and I’m glad for it.
  • Saturday Night Genealogy Fun post about what happened on the day our grandmother was born. I chose my Mam-ma, Pansy Louise Lancaster, who was born November 19, 1913.

Other
Outdoor activities included:
  • pulling weeds at the John Muir National Historic Park. The Visitor's Center garden still has pretty blooming flowers.
  • conducting the weekly phenology study. Shirley and I saw a male California Quail making lots of noise which meant that his family was probably nearby. Pretty exciting, but I had the wrong camera with me.
  • working the Friends of Alhambra Creek booth at the annual Beaver Festival, this year in Susana Park

For entertainment:
  • I attended two San Francisco Giants games against the Colorado Rockies. Both nights, I sat in the Club level, where there is less wind. They won both nights!
  • Played with the Ukulele Jam group at the Senior Center


Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments