Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of September 24-30, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
I finished four out of the five lessons for the Intermediate Skills 2 course I will be teaching in October & November at the Oakland FamilySearch Library on behalf of the California Genealogical Society. I plan to work on the fifth class after getting some input from the students so I can tailor it to their wants.

I viewed only one webinar this week: “Methods For Identifying The German Origins of American Immigrants,” by Michael D. Lacopo, and participated in the DearMyrtle AmericanGen Study Group on Wednesday. We discussed researching online.

I attended the Sacramento German Genealogical Society meeting and learned about using the State Library resources. This week my volunteer work was at the Oakland Family Search Center. I sat with a young woman showing her some search techniques in Ancestry.com.

Portfolio work. I worked on the case study this week and I’m getting closer to the end. In our  certification peer group, we celebrated Faye’s successful certification and then discussed Chapter 13 in the new Pro Gen book.

Blog Writing: Blog posts I wrote this week:
This week’s 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks was about “on the farm.” I posted photos of my mother-in-law, Thelma and her siblings on their farm.

I participated in Randy Seaver’s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun and wrote about the pets I’ve owned.

Other Activities
I  went to yoga class on Tuesday and bird watching at Heather Farm Park on Thursday. It was the first time in months that I bird watched. Saw quite a few birds and the highlight was the Black-throated Gray Warbler, though I didn't get a photo of it.

Great-blue Heron

White-breasted Nuthatch
Saturday was the Archives Crawl. I volunteered in the morning at the History Center, and then checked out the other sites: Martinez Library, Martinez Historical Society, and the County Recorder’s Office. There were also other organizations at tables in the Veteran’s Hall. I visited each one and got literature about their archives or hours so I can visit them. I hope to get a few more articles written for the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society’s newsletter.

On Sunday was the last Giants game of the season and I spent the day with my friend, Beth. This game was really tough because they lost 15-0. This has not been the best season for the team, but I enjoyed most of the games I attended this year.

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments