Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Feb 22-28, 2021

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed fifty (50) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. Two more weeks and it will be one year of this pandemic in California. I did leave the house this past week to teach at the adult school on Zoom, go on a walk, and do phenology with Shirley at the meadow. This coming week I get my first vaccine shot!

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Week 8: Power—Was Thomas N Davey VP of Empire District Electric Company?). I wrote about the research I started to determine if my husband’s great-granduncle was the vice president of the Empire District Electric Company in 1909. He was listed as VP in the Carthage city directory as being VP of the Empire Electric Power & Supply Company. I’m thinking they are two different companies. Some queries are out to the local historical archive and library.

Saturday Day Night Genealogy Fun—Your Favorite RootsTech Connect 2021 Moment). I wrote about a few of the sessions I viewed and the genealogy companies I visited in the Expo Hall.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended several study group meetings this week..

  • I listened to the Certification Discussion Group meeting on my phone while I worked.
  • Jacqueline and I met for an hour or so of conversation.
  • Amigos met on Wednesday and had a lively discussion 30 minutes before I got there.
  • I met with the Ladies Group and Kim and I caught up.
  • Friday, the Cert Peer group checked in and then discussed the first chapter in the Genetic Genealogy in Practice book.

Webinars Attended
: I viewed many webinars this week. The first three were not part of RootsTech:
  • LGBTQ history and family history by Stewart Traiman. This was on FindMyPast Facebook page and he did a great job with the discussion and answering questions.
  • Beyond Ancestry: Essential Portals for Genealogy Research by Nancy E Loe. Missed the beginning but her handout is great.
  • WWI Education: Strategies & Tools for Teaching WWI in 2021 by the Doughboy Foundation. The webinar was so-so but the handouts were great!
RootsTech Connect 2021 Sessions:
  • Geburts-, Heirats- und Sterberegister - Arbeiten mit den Sammlungen auf Ancestry by Ursula Krause (in German! I understood maybe 35%)
  • Using Indirect and Negative Evidence to Prove Unrecorded Events by Tom Jones
  • Locality Research: Key to Making New Discoveries by Diana Elder
  • Explore Your Swedish Roots with ArkivDigital by Kathy Meade
  • Index Search in ArkivDigital by Kathy Meade
  • Search in Index: (BiS) Population of Sweden, 1840-1947 by Kathy Meade
  • Use ArkivDigital to Discover Your Swedish Roots by Kathy Meade
  • Records Analysis: Finding Your Unknown Soldier—Swedish General Muster Rolls by Jeane Erickson

Client Work/Presentations:
Monday, I taught both Adult School classes, the beginning class on researching in cemetery and funeral home records, and the workshop class on the third part of the research report: the planning the research.

Tuesday, I presented the last Deed Reading & Locating class with CGS, this week showing some electronic platting software and websites, and showing how platting deeds can help solve problems with some NGSQ article examples.

Volunteer & Own Work:
I led the fourth session of the GenProof study group Tuesday morning. We discussed the second part of the GPS: citations.

I also worked at the History Center for a couple of hours taking care of some queries for naturalization and court records, and entering the accessions into PastPerfect. It was quiet with only one other person and I stayed until Jennifer got there. I also attended the volunteer meeting on Zoom later in the week. It was a shame more volunteers didn’t make it.

I updated the Locality Guide for Contra Costa County, California, to be included on the ProGen website for other ProGen alumni. I had done it originally during ProGen back in 2013 but it needed a bit of updating.

Other: It has been a quiet week. I worked on lesson plans, attended my three German classes and one Swedish class. I worked in my own garden pulling weeds around my native plant garden and took some photos of the flowers blooming at the John Muir National Historic Park visitor center garden.

I finished reading:

  • Cave of Bones by Anne Hillerman

 I am working on:

  • Black Diamond by Martin Walker
  • 1919, The Year of Racial Violence by David F. Krugler

Photos taken this week:
These were taken at the John Muir National Historic Park in Martinez at the native plant garden near the visitor's center.







Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. As always, I love your photos. We've been to John Muir, but it's been quite a few years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.