Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your #1 All-Time Favorite Song

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is:

1) What is your all-time favorite song? Yep, number 1. It's hard to choose sometimes. If you made your favorite all-time Top 40 music selections, what would be #1?

2. Tell us about it. Why is it a favorite? Do you have special memories attached to this song? 

3. Put it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook post.  Please leave a link in a comment to this post.

Selecting a number one song would be very difficult. I can remember the first LP album I received for a gift: Herb Alpert’s Tijuana Brass “Whipped Cream & Other Delights.” The cover seemed scandalous to me with the naked women covered in whipped cream. There were some really good songs and I probably played it a lot.  Here is “A Taste of Honey.”

My first 45 rpm I bought with my own money was Neil Diamond’s “Song Sung Blue” which I found in a sidewalk sale bin.  

I have listened to music most of my life, but when my favorite local radio station went off the air a few years ago, I haven’t listened to new music much. FM radio stations in the car have too many commercials, so I moved to listening to the local public radio station. I suppose I could subscribe to a service.

Yesterday by the Beatles

Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens

Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra

In the Mood by Glenn Miller Orchestra

Peter Gunn by Henry Mancini

Closer to Fine by Indigo Girls

Somewhere Only We Know by Keane

What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong

Bridge Over Troubled Water & Sounds of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel

Hey, Soul Sister by Train

But if I had to pick one favorite, it’s probably Sounds of Silence. I don’t know exactly why I like particular songs. I can’t put the emotional feelings I get into words. It just moves me and it’s a song I love singing along to. As I do, all the songs on the list above. (The instrumental ones I air play the trumpet to.)


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Those are all lovely song choices. It was really hard for me to choose just one song also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. That's probably true for anyone who loves music.

      Delete
  2. That's a great mix of songs on your favorites list with a few that are much more modern. I love Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really hard to choose just one song when one loves music in general.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.