Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Mar 15-21, 2021

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed fifty-three (53) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. This past week, I went out to the History Center, to phenology, and to the library to pick up a couple of books.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Your High School Years. I wrote about my times at Las Lomas High School in Walnut Creek.

Week 11: Fortune—Homesteading for the Gleesons. I wrote about the Gleeson family homesteading in Dakota Territory.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended several study group meetings this week:

  • Monday Morning met with 19—I think our highest ever.
  • Jacqueline and I met for an hour or so of conversation on Monday.
  • Amigos on Wednesday afternoon.
  • Friday, the Cert Peer group checked in with only three of us so we decided not to continue until next week.
  • Book Club discussing the book 1919: The Year of Racial Violence
  • Plus two meetings with friends discussing upcoming projects we’re working on

Webinars & Classes Attended
:
  • Terrible Beauty, A History of Ireland: Before & After the Great Irish Famine by Craig Foster
  • Irish Jurisdictions: An Intro to Gazetteers & Maps by Kori Robbins
  • Irish Roman Catholic Records by David Ouimette
  • On Writing & Certification by Harold Henderson
  • Reporting on Research by Nancy Peters
  • Irish Research Part III by Maureen Hanlon (CGS)
  • Strengthen Your Analysis: Transcribing & Abstracting by LaBrenda Garrett-Nelson

Client Work/Presentations:

  • Began working on lesson plans for Spring Quarter at the adult school.
  • Had a phone conversation with a client and now have a continuing project contracted.
  • Gave a talk about Research Plans to the Napa Valley Genealogical Society.

Volunteer & Own Work:

  • I led the seventh session of the GenProof study group Tuesday morning. We discussed the fifth part of the GPS: writing conclusions.
  • I worked at the History Center on Tuesday and Saturday. Tuesday, worked on a query and checked in with Ben on the city directory/phonebook project. Saturday, I met with Maxine about projects to finish & deciding on where things could go when finished. I also attended the Board Meeting, taking minutes.
  • I co-hosted the California Genealogical Society’s class on Irish Research (Part III). I asked the questions posed in the chat.

Other:

I’m reading:

  • 1919, The Year of Racial Violence by David F. Krugler
  • A Lady’s Guide to Mischief and Mayhem by Manda Collins

Photos taken this week: Some orange flowers





Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments