Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your High School Years

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!


Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing:

1) This week we travel down Memory Lane again - tell us about your high school years with answers to ten questions.

2) Put it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook post.  Please leave a link in a comment to this post.

Here's mine:

1. What was your high school's full name, where was it, and what year did you graduate? Las Lomas High School in Walnut Creek, Contra Costa County, California. I graduated in 1972. We’ll have our 50th reunion next year.

Image of Las Lomas High School in the 60s

2. What was the school team nickname, and what are/were your school's colors? Our school nickname is Knights. Our colors are maroon and gold and I still have a fondness for those colors.

3. What was the name of your school song, and can you still sing it? I don’t remember a school song. I never went to football or basketball games, and rarely to a rally. In checking the Knight’s Guide, given to me before freshman year, there is song/poem on the back called “Alma Mater.”


4. Did you have a car? How did you get to and from school?  I mostly walked and in the sophomore year, rode my bike, because that was the year of the first Earth Day and our biology teacher, Mr. Ulmer, encouraged doing ecological activities. I didn’t have my driver’s license until after graduation. Even if I had gotten it earlier, there was no spare car I could have used.

5. Did you date someone from your high school? Or marry someone from your high school? Were you considered a flirt?  No, just another of the many nerds in my group, made up entirely of girls. One boy was interested in me during freshman year, but I wasn’t into him.

6. What social group were you in?  As I wrote above, mostly nerds. I had one best friend and a few other acquaintances we ate lunch with. I was a member of a couple of clubs: Library Club, International Club. I was on the volleyball team in my senior year. Girl sports wasn't much of a thing at our school. I tried cross country in my freshman year and track but found I didn't really like to run.

Volleyball team - back row on the right


7. Who were your favorite teachers? 
I liked most of my teachers, but have fondest memories of my German teacher, Mr. Ludolph, who let us eat our lunch in his classroom, and Mrs. Sayer who was a P.E. teacher and our volleyball coach. 

8. What did you do on Friday nights? Mostly stayed home to watch Star Trek and later other T.V. shows. I wasn’t into high school sports. Since we didn’t have a car, we didn’t cruise Main Street, but that was a popular activity.

9. Did you go to and have fun at the Senior Prom? I went to only one dance in my freshman year and was a wallflower along the side of the gym. Never went to another.

10. Have you been to reunions, and are you planning on going to the next reunion? I went to the 10th reunion and except for a few people, no one remembered me, although I remembered them. I might go to the 50th, depending on what the activity is.  


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Geeks, unite! Very similar to mine, although I have been to more reunions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that most genealogists probably were geeks.

      Delete
  2. Lisa, I think we all also liked teachers and learning - a definite requirement for being a genealogist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.