Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of April 12-17, 2022

I have completed one hundred nine (109) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I did not go out of the house this past week except to go to the History Center. Either I had a bad cold or allergies that kept me home.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

How Do You Spell That? I discussed the various ways my grandmother’s ancestor’s names have been spelled in records.

Locating Information about a Locality Using Gazetteers and Maps. We had homework from the presentation given to the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society and this is what I found.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What Did You Do in 1997? We were to write about our activities in the year 1997. Luckily, I could look at my daughter’s photo albums to see what they had done. 

Happy Easter! I shared photographs of past Easter Sundays.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: None this week.

Client Work/Presentations:
I had the last session of the AppGen Foundations I course, reviewing homework and answering any questions.  

I also presented both of my two Adult School classes: Intermediate 3 and Writing Workshop. I have some new people in the Intermediate class who participated. This course is more about class interaction and less lecturing.

Volunteer Work:
I volunteered at historical society archive but left early with a severe headache, probably the start of my cold/allergies.

Jacqueline and I hosted the CGS Roundtable on Wednesday evening and had about nine people. There was good discussion about the 1950 census, DNA, and other subjects.

Own Work:
I attended the tenth and last class of the SLIG Academy class on writing for peer review. We met in our small groups to discuss the writings we exchanged.

I finished up going through the files of the Johnston family and organized them in the file box. I now have all of my grandmother’s families in one file box, down from two and a half. I did some research on my great-uncle, Luther E. Johnston and located his first wife and son in records online.

Webinars Viewed:
Using Maps in Genealogical Research by Melinda Kashuba

Other: There isn’t much other when one stays home most of the week. I got a lot of reading in and took a few naps. I did feel well enough to pull some weeds on Sunday. We fixed a lamb rack and asparagus for Easter dinner and had pancakes for breakfast after I colored a dozen eggs.

I am reading:

  • The Tale Teller by Anne Hillerman—Finished!
  • History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage—Finished!
  • The Guarded Gate by Daniel Okrent
  • The Prime Minister’s Secret Agent by Susan Elia MacNeal
  • Research Like a Pro by Diana Elder

Photos for this week:



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments