Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of April 18-24, 2022

I have completed one hundred ten (110) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I really can’t say I was in semi-lock down this week. I attended the Pacific Coast Region of the National Model Railroad Association’s yearly convention, the first in-person one we have had in three years. I attended clinics, meal events, and layout tours, mostly without masks.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Turning a Negative into a PositiveI wrote about how I dealt with the negative I found in my grandmother’s papers using a scanner and Photoshop Elements.

Last week’s post, Locating Information about a Locality Using Gazetteers and Maps, was highlighted on two blog roundups: Friday’s Family History Finds and This Week’s Crème de la Crème – April 23, 2022.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I met with Jacqueline and we discussed our Trello boards where we are keeping track of future research trips we want to take. I attended the NGSQ study group meeting early Tuesday morning.

Client Work/Presentations:
I presented to my Adult School Intermediate 3 class. We have good discussion and a comment from one saying she was finally getting it.

Also met with the AppGen team and we selected the courses to be taught in the Fall. We’ll have an announcement soon.

Volunteer Work:
I volunteered at historical society archive. I took care of a couple of queries and met with John and Tara about how to conduct the next book sale.

Own Work:
I worked on the Polly line in Lewis County, Kentucky. At the FamilySearch catalog, I found tax, probate, and land records for the Polly family and am working on writing up my findings.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Proving Parentage Two Centuries Later Using DNA Evidence by David Ouimette

Other: As I mentioned above, I attended the PCR convention. It was my last board meeting as Coast Director and a new member took over on Sunday. I enjoyed the clinics that I attended, mostly about building small layouts and got some good advice at the Ops/LDSIG meeting on Thursday evening on how I could design my idea of an SNRy layout. I viewed some great layouts at members homes and get ideas from their scenery. On Saturday, we viewed a steam-powered sawmill in action. I also found a nice garden there where I took photos of the flowers blooming.

I am reading:

  • The Guarded Gate by Daniel Okrent
  • The Prime Minister’s Secret Agent by Susan Elia MacNeal—FINISHED!
  • Research Like a Pro by Diana Elder

Photos for this week: A wide variety of shots this week: scene from a model railroad (I really like the house and would love to live in it), a scene from the steam-powered mill, and a few flowers found on the property.


 



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments