Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Feb 5–11, 2024

I have completed two hundred and five (205) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Besides going to the History Center twice and phenology, outside-of-the-house activities included volunteering at the Oakland FamilySearch Center, buying books at the library sale, and touring the new East Bay Regional Park. 

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
I met with Jacqueline for a short time this week as we continued our plans to Modesto next week. I’m going to be giving a presentation to the Stanislaus County Genealogical Society and she wants to take some photos in the Turlock Cemetery.

I also met with KB Barcomb and we discussed some WWI stuff, particularly locating a unit in the Morning Reports on Fold3.

Lastly, I attended the Book Club at Gena’s House where we discussed Wake. We had a lively discussion about the history she wrote and the research process she explained.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I turned in the German town article for Der Blumenbaum. I still have another to write on archiving. I spent most of the week putting together the presentation for using the BLM website. I still need to put together the handout.

Blog Post Published:

Discovering the Records of Rev. Nils Malkom Nilsen. For 52 Ancestors, I wrote about my husband’s great-grandfather, whose occupation was a Swedish Mission Church minister. Linda Stufflebean highlighted this post in her weekly roundup.

SNGF: Your Best Genealogy Achievements in 2023. I wrote about some achievements I had the previous year, including finishing my renewal.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
The BCG press release for the upcoming webinar was posted in several places. Again, at the Oakland FamilySearch Center, no one needed my help, so I continued working on the presentation. I forgot that I had some deeds and probates to look at in Cherokee County that are locked at home. Well, next time!

At the History Center on Tuesday, Janet and I measured the archives to see how many linear feet we have for future planning. I ordered labels for the library shelves. And I had several queries to research and answer. Thursday, we had a board meeting at the Center and discussed more about our lease proposal. 

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • Backing Up to the Boat: Immigration & Naturalization by Ann Mohr Osisek (Kinseekers)

Other:
Again, no formal walk with the walking group this week because of the rain (not complaining but wished it would rain on a different day). I did get a couple of walks in my neighborhood. I got 13 books at the used book sale at our local library, $10 a bag. 

On Sunday, I attended a Black History Month presentation and tour at the new East Bay Regional Park District park called Thurgood Marshall Regional Park and the Home of the Port Chicago 50. It’s not open yet to the public but we got a special tour. We learned all about some of the 50 sailors who were charged with mutiny for refusing to return to work loading ships after an explosion of ammunition on a ship killed and injured over six hundred sailors and civilians. It’s on the former Concord Naval Weapons Depot. We also climbed to the top of a hill and had wonderful views of the central county.

I am reading:

  • Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts by Rebecca Hall—FINISHED!
  • Germans in America by Walter D. Kamphoefner
  • The Improbable Tales of Baskerville Hall by Ali Standish

Photos for this week.



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos. All the rain brings out all the green - and the mushrooms, even in Arizona!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.