Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- How Did Your Ancestors Meet Their Spouses?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans: 

It's Saturday Night again - 

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!




Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has our assignment for tonight: 

1)  How did your parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and other greats meet each other?  Do you know any details?

 Here's mine:

I told the story of meeting my husband, Norman, in Saturday Night Genealogy Full – How Did You Meet the Love of Your Life?

I told the story of my parents meeting in Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – “How did Your Parents Meet?”

I told the story of how my maternal grandparents met in Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – How Did Your (Grand) Parents Meet?

I wrote the story of Norman’s great-grandfather’s courtship in Courting: The Courtship and Marriage of Amos Gorrell, Jr. and Catherine E. Sayre in Ross County, Ohio.

I have not written the story of my paternal grandparent's meeting. William Cyril Hork of Hamilton, Ravalli County, Montana, likely met Anne Marie Sullivan in Hamilton. She was from Anaconda, Deer Lodge County, Montana, but was a school teacher in Hamilton schools for a while.

Anna was thirty when she married, though the marriage license states twenty-eight. Cyril was twenty-three, which agrees with the license. Did Anne lie about her age or did Cyril lie about her age? I imagine she was present to give her parents’ information. Her mother was dead and there would be no reason that Cyril would have known her maiden name.

They married on 30 November 1922 at St. Patrick’s Church in Butte, Silver Bow County, Montana by Father J. M. Venus. Anne’s sister, Ethel, and her cousin, Daniel, were the witnesses.[1] It happened to be Thanksgiving Day and Daniel’s mother, Sarah “Sadie” Sullivan hosted the reception.

I never asked my grandmother how she met him. She passed away in 1979, long before I got interested in doing genealogy research. She had been separated from him since the late 1930s and they lived separately until he died in 1967.[2] They are buried together at the National Cemetery in Los Angeles.[3]


[1] Silver Bow County, Montana, marriage, no. A-14551, Cyril W. Hork to Anna Marie Sullivan, 1922.

[2] State of California, Department of Public Health, death certificate, no. 7097-049175, William Cyril Hork, 1967.

[3] Los Angeles National Cemetery, Los Angeles, California, William Cyril Hork and Anne M. Hork, section 419, row L, site 19.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. It isn't surprising that Anna shaved a couple of years off her age. 7 years' difference was quite a bit and she was likely self conscious about it. One of my great grandmothers was 3 years older than my great grandfather. Apparently, she was very cagey about her true age. My grandmother said she was never sure how old her mother-in-law really was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wondered if she married him because she was thinking not to be an old maid. She was approaching that in that time period.

      Delete
  2. You know several of your ancestors' meeting stories. That's wonderful. I wish I knew more of mine.

    My paternal grandmother was 10 years older than my grandfather. She always gave her age as one year younger, but I think that was because she didn't really know she was born a year earlier. My grandfather, however, routinely added years to his age while they were together, and I'm sure it was because of the significant age difference, particularly in that time period.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.