Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jan 29–Feb 4, 2024

I have completed two hundred and four (204) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Outside of the house activities included volunteering at the History Center, getting a haircut, going to the bank, and visiting the Crockett Museum. 

Genealogy

I continued with the computer problems while the laptop was in the shop. The old computer is wonky. The cursor jumps all around while typing, the main screen is sideways, and it is hard to deal with Zoom. The good news, it came back on Saturday and I spent Sunday getting stuff done I had postponed.

Genealogy Meetings:  
I met with Jacqueline for a short time this week. We made some plans for our Modesto trip next week. I need to make hotel reservations. I also met with my cert peer group on Friday. We all were present and discussed the first chapter in Debbie Parker Wayne’s DNA book. I found the triangulation chapter confusing.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I have a few deadlines coming up, so I worked on bits of lots of projects, at least if I had the files to do so. The only reason I got by with the Win7 laptop, was I have many of my files on the portable hard drive. However, I did not have access to anything that I had stored in the download folder of the Win10 laptop.

What I did work on:

  • German town article for Der Blumenbaum and it is about finished. I still have another to write on archiving.
  • Handout on using the Bureau of Land Management website for land records.
  • Looked for Morning Reports for 319th Engineers on Fold3 without any luck. This is for one of my writing students.
  • On Sunday, I was able to work on the Research Like a Pro 14-day Challenge. I did not solve the problem, but at least it is all written up now, so I know what I have done.

Blog Post Published:

Anna Marie Sullivan Hork, an Influencer in My Life. For 52 Ancestors, I wrote about my grandmother who was a teacher. This was highlighted on the 52 Ancestors email.

SNGF: What Are Your RootsTech 2024 Expectations? I wrote about the online classes that I scheduled and how I was disappointed the BCG classes would not be broadcast.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
At the History Center on Tuesday, I accessioned new donations and entered them into PastPerfect. On Saturday, Maxine and I discussed the next steps for the library database before it can be uploaded to PastPerfect. We did figure out how to print out call numbers to put on the books. We just need to purchase the library tape. The strategic planning committee met on Saturday as well. We all made good progress.

Wednesday, I visited the museum of the Crockett Historical Society and spoke with the person who handles the archives. He gave me an excellent tour and spoke fondly of their archives. I took photos and wrote up an article for the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society’s newsletter and it will also be posted on our website.

I worked on more of the indexing of the Dublin Harrell Funeral Home records for the Erath County (Texas) Genealogical Society.

Webinars/Courses Viewed: None this week, but here are those I forgot last week:

  • The Architecture of Confinement: Incarceration Camps of the Pacific War, by Anoma Pieris (Inspirational Dialogues Virtual Book Talk)
  • Writing for the NGSQ by Margaret R Fortier (APG Writers SIG)

Other:
No walk this week because it was raining again. I did get in a walk on my own and listened to the Genealogy Guys podcast. It was 90 minutes so I have the second half to listen to on the next walk, if it will stop raining. Here are some narcissus that are blooming now in my yard.

I am reading:

  • The Way of the Bear by Anne Hillerman—FINISHED
  • Germans in America by Walter D. Kamphoefner
  • The Impossible Tales of Baskerville Hall by Ali Standish
  • Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts by Rebecca Hall

Photos for this week.



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments