Skip to main content

SNGF-What Are Your RootsTech 2024 Expectations?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans

It's Saturday Night again - 

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!






Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has our assignment today: 

1)  Are you going to RootsTech 2024 (29 February to 2 March) in person in Salt Lake City?  Or are you going to experience RootsTech 2024 virtually, watching online from home as it occurs, or watching it after the event?

2)  What events in Salt Lake City are you looking forward to attending?  What events are you going to watch virtually?  What classes do you want to see from each day?  The RootsTech 2024 schedule - both in-person and online - is available at https://www.familysearch.org/en/rootstech/schedule.  Note that not all the in-person classes can be viewed online. 

Here's mine:
I am not attending RootsTech in person this year. I went last year but spent most of the time either in the exhibit hall or at the FamilySearch Library. I worked at the Board for the Certification of Genealogists’ booth and I did some research for my portfolio renewal.

I had attended and roomed with my friend, Jacqueline, and during the trip I got sick, so was not in the mood to hang out with tens of thousands of people.

This year, I’m watching virtually. I have created a schedule and hope to view the following classes:

Thursday, Feb 29

  • Where did you find that? Effective searches on FamilySearch.org. Debbie Gurtler
  • Genealogy A to Z: A Trivia Adventure. Thomas MacEntee
  • Digging into Finding Aids: The Road Map to any Manuscript Collection. Mitch Wasden
  • Researching in Ontario: Your Trillium Connection! Judy Nimer Muhn

Friday, Mar 1

  • Live Q & A session with Germanys Expert Genealogist Andrea Bentschneider
  • Did My Family Get Skipped? Mining Census Records for Missing Ancestors. Nicole Gilkison LaRue (both above are at the same time – will have to watch one as a recording)
  • Reconstructing the Lives of Our Female Irish Ancestors. Stephanie O’Connell
  • U.S. Synagogue Records as Genealogical Resource. Ellen Kowitt
  • Church Records in Archives. Melissa Barker
  • Genealogist Get Geeky! A Candid Chat on Methodology. (Stanbary, McGhie, & Koford)
  • Stock Marks Aren’t Just Animal Brands—Use Them to Identify People Also! Diane L Richard (both the above are also at the same time)

Saturday, Mar 2

  • Unexpected Treasures: Family History in the American State Papers. Judy G Russell

I have no interest in the keynote speakers, so will skip those. Usually, I have no idea who the people are!

I am disappointed that the BCG/AG track is in-person only. But I guess they did that trying to draw more intermediate and advanced registrants.

If I don’t view the classes “live” I know I can view the recording later. I have a meeting at noon PST on Friday and do phenology in the morning on Thursday. Besides, two or three is plenty for one day.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I'm also disappointed that the BCG track is in-person only. That's one of the first things I noticed as I always look for more advanced sessions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.