Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - 1940 U.S. Census Last Name Numbers

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, is to:

1)  How many people in your country had your four grandparents exact last names at birth in the 1940 U.S. Census?  [Note, if you're playing and not in the U.S., pick an appropriate database in your country.]  What about your spouse's grandparents last names at birth?

2) List each last name at birth and the number of persons in the 1940 U.S. Census using an exact surname match.  

3)  Have you performed a "one-name search" for any of those last names and added them to do family tree?

Here's mine:

My four grandparents are: Hork, Sullivan, Johnston, Lancaster.

Hork = 292

Sullivan = 142,354

Johnston = 90,330

Lancaster = 18,212

I was not surprised by the total for HORK, but that is a huge number for SULLIVAN, even more than JOHNSTON. Of course, if the name was JOHNSON, it would certainly be higher.

My husband’s four grandparents are Gorrell, Davey, Nilsen, Lundquist.

Gorrell = 1,703

Davey = 5,537

Nilsen = 2,044

Lundquist = 5,394

I really expected more GORRELL names than that. My husband’s ancestor James Gorrell had 15 children with nine sons. That could create a lot of offspring. I also expected NILSEN to be higher but perhaps many of the families changed their name to NILSON or even NELSON. I was more surprised that there were more LUNDQUIST names than NILSEN.

Since the HORK names were so small, perhaps I should try a one-name study. Often when I find a HORK name and do some research, I find they are from Russia and not Germany. My Hork family came from Westfalen. 


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Could your Horks have been Russian Germans? I never thought of that as a common ethnic group, but I have come across the term more and more often lately in my Rusyn research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Horks came from Westfalen. The spelling of the name there was Horoch until about 1870s. I suppose it is possible that earlier generations moved to Russia, but it is also possible the Hork name from the Russian area morphed from another spelling. A one-name study might resolve that question.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.