Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of December 27–January 2, 2022

I have completed ninety-four (93) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I went twice to the Oakland FamilySearch Library to do some research. I double masked and sat away from the computers. I also went to the meadow for phenology. We stayed in for New Year’s Eve and I retired at 10:30. I didn’t even wake when the local fireworks went off.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

52 Ancestors—Week 52: Future—Goal Setting 2022 I reviewed last year’s goals and made new ones.

The Best of 2021 I analyzed the blog post I wrote in 2021 and highlighted the most viewed and my favorites.

Happy New Year! I posted one of my old postcards showing a snowman.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I hosted Monday Morning on Zoom. Jacqueline and I met on Monday and then met at the Oakland FamilySearch Library on Tuesday and Thursday to do some work. Three of the Amigos met on Tuesday. Peer Group met on Friday with three of us discussing our 2022 goals. And on Sunday, I participated in a book club where we are reading a book about the KKK.

ClientWork/Presentations: I worked on updating the Focused Research talk I’ll do in a week. I also began working on the lessons I’ll teach in the Foundations I course for AppGen Institute.

Volunteer Work: Volunteer work was still on hiatus until January.

Own Work: This week I worked on the POLLY, writing up research about probate and land records for Wilmer Polly, his father W.O. Polly, and the grandfather, N.H.O. Polly. I purchased some deeds from the Rockwall County Recorders Office and viewed probate records that were locked at the FamilySearch Library in Oakland. It all started with a document about guardianship. I still have more work to do but have written up over twenty pages so far.

Webinars Viewed: None.

Other: It was a quiet week, where I worked on the computer, read, or watched television. We started watching The British Bake Off.

I am reading:

  • A Fatal Winter by G.M. Mallet
  • Gospel According to the Klan by Kelly J. Baker
  • Homesteading the Plains: Toward a New History by Richard Edwards, Jacob K Friefeld, & Rebecca S. Wingo

Photos for this week:



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments