Skip to main content

Curious - How did the Sieverts of Schneidemühl Posen Get to America in 1850s?

Vincent Sievert, with his wife and son, sailed from Hamburg to New York City aboard the Bark Johanna Elise in 1850. From there, they traveled to Joliet, Illinois. Two years later, his two sister and one brother came with their families and settled nearby.

I became curious about how my ancestors moved from one place to another. There are many things to take into consideration when trying discover how they traveled.

What was the distance between the two places?
Where there any barriers between the places, such as mountains, rivers, or even the ocean?
What technological advances have been made for transportation? What kind of ships? Where there railroads? Was canal or river travel the common method?

Knowing about the history and geography of the area is important. I like to locate maps to show the topography and gazetteers to discover the infrastructure of the area. Where there train stations? Were there stagecoach line between local cities? However, I have not located a local gazetteer for that time period.

Locating a contemporary map is usually not too hard. Even if the map is off a few years, I can still get the idea of the topography of mountains and rivers, what roads were in place, and whether there were railroad lines built. Schneidemühl, a settlement with many German-speaking residents, was located in Posen, which is now in present-day Poland. I found a map on the JewishGen site that I could view the town and see also the port of Hamburg, where my Sievert family departed from in 1852. I used a distance calculator to see how far the two cities were apart. 

Then I wondered about the status of railroad service in this part of Europe. An 1849 Eisenbahnkarte (railroad map) was found on the Wikipedia site, "History of Rail Transport in Germany." This showed railroad lines that extended from Berlin out to many cities, including the nearby city of Posen. So it is likely that the family traveled to Hamburg by train. 

More details about this family and their journey will hopefully be published in an upcoming issue of the Sacramento German Genealogy Society's publication, Der Blumenbaum. 

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e0-d67d-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99
Immigrants Traveling in a Horse-drawn cart, G.W. Peters, 1903
Wallach Division Picture Collection
New York Public Library Digital Collection



#52Ancestors-Week 4: Curious

This is my fifth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Like you, I've been curious about how immigrant ancestors got to a port to board their ships. In one case, the story is the family paid someone to take them, by horse cart, to a railway station where they then boarded the train to the port. Not as fancy, even, as in your illustration, I bet. No other stories, and not sure whether this one is true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have a story! All we can do is research the various ways and then speculate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.