Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 3–9, 2022

I have completed ninety-five (95) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. Activities started up again from the holiday break. I went to the History Center, the Oakland FamilySearch Library, dentist, train club, and Kaiser twice for lab tests, and we met a friend for brunch. I am double masked. We were to visit a friend who was on Hospice but he was unable to see us and then passed away on Friday. Ed will be truly missed.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Applied Genealogy Institute – My Course in Records I wrote about the open registration period for our upcoming spring session and the five courses that are available. Sunday was the last day to sign up.

Foundations – Making Our House Sturdier My first post for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks was about how we redid the foundation on our home to better protect it from earthquake damage.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Your Ancestor Score for 2022 Our assignment was to check our found ancestors against the possible for each generation. I used my daughter’s position to make the analysis since I have one tree for both our lines. My Irish and German lines are truly lacking, but I found a possible Swedish line I could work on.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended a WWII study group from the Kinseekers group out of Florida. It was neat learning that the muster roll collection at FamilySearch has some of the records indexed, but the unit my great-uncle was in (4th Engineers) have not yet been indexed. He is missing from Company E for about 6 months and I still need to figure out where he went. It is very misleading to see he left the U.S. with Co. E and returned to the U.S. with Co. E. Without seeing the muster rolls, I would not have known he was in a different unit for part of that time in Europe.

I had Zoom time with Jacqueline, Amigos, KB, and Peer group, all discussing some aspect of genealogy! I met with the Der Blumenbaum committee and we discussed the next issue. I will have an article in it. Saturday, the California Genealogical Society had their annual meeting and it was great seeing everyone on Zoom. Book club on Sunday discussed The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles. I read the book last November and really loved it.

ClientWork/Presentations: I added some content to the Farm talk I’m giving this week for the Sonoma County Genealogical Society. I continued working on the lessons I’ll teach in the Foundations I course for AppGen Institute.

Volunteer Work: Completed some queries at the History Center and did my volunteer stint at the Oakland FamilySearch Library.

Own Work: The work I did this week was clean up my download folder, putting files away. I also cleared up some double files on the portable hard drive, which prompted Dropbox to start working in overdrive to update the changes.

Webinars Viewed: None.

Other: Other than a nice brunch with Peter, our week has been quiet. I did start a 30-day yoga class online and am enjoying the thirty minutes each morning.

I am reading:

  • A Fatal Winter by G.M. Mallet—FINISHED!
  • Santa’s Sweetheart by Janet Dailey
  • Gospel According to the Klan by Kelly J. Baker
  • Homesteading the Plains: Toward a New History by Richard Edwards, Jacob K Friefeld, & Rebecca S. Wingo

Photos for this week:



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments