Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Ancestor Score for 2022

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!

Our mission this week from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, is to:

1)  Determine how complete your genealogy research is.  For background, read Crista Cowan's post Family History All Done? What’s Your Number? and Kris Stewart's What Is Your Genealogy "Score?"  For comparison purposes, keep the list to 10 generations with you as the first person.  

2)  Create a table similar to Crista's second table, and fill it in however you can (you could create an Ahnentafel (Ancestor Name) list and count the number in each generation, or use some other method).  Tell us how you calculated the numbers.

3)  Show us your table, and calculate your "Ancestral Score" - what is your percentage of known names to possible names (1,023 for 10 generations).


Here's mine:

I did not do this challenge back in 2016, so I have nothing to compare to. I know that I have not added generations to my tree in a long time except in the GORRELL line in Pennsylvania. I have been focusing on filling in the stories of the more recent generations. But I decided to do the challenge to have a record of my ancestral score.

I made the chart by hand because what Randy described did not seem to work in RootsMagic 7, which I am still using. Instead, I used the pedigree chart and worked through each generation, counting how many I have found.

I also am starting with my daughters as no. 1, so I can reflect both my side and my husband’s side, since I research both lines equally.

Generation

Relationship

Possible People

No.  – Sum 1

Identified People

No. – Sum 2

Percentage 100*

(Sum2/Sum1)

1

You

1

1

1

1

100.00%

2

Parents

2

3

2

3

100.00%

3

Grandparents

4

7

4

7

100.00%

4

1x G-Grandparents

8

15

8

15

100.00%

5

2x G-Grandparents

16

31

16

31

100.00%

6

3x G-Grandparents

32

63

32

63

100.00%

7

4x G-Grandparents

64

127

55

118

92.91%

8

5x G-Grandparents

128

255

63

192

75.29%

9

6x G-Grandparents

256

511

40

232

45.40%

10

7x G-Grandparents

512

1023

22

254

24.82%

My Ancestral Score for 10 generations is:
* number of known ancestral names is 254, the number of possible is 1023, so the ancestral name number for ten generations is 254/1023 = 24.82%.

My numbers drop off fast at a couple of locations:

--On my father’s side, I do not know the parents of Irish-born Jerry and Mary (Sheehan) Sullivan of County Cork.  Nor the Irish-born parents of Martin & Ann Gleeson and John Tierney & Ann Murray, probably of County Tipperary. I also do not know the parents of German-born Susanna Raduntz, who lived in Schneidemuehl, Prussia. Or the parents of Christoph Siewert & Anna Marianna Ewald, also living in Schneidemuehl.

--On my husbands’ father’s side, there are gaps in his Swedish Nilsen line, not knowing the parents of Anders Peter Johansson and his wife Anna Larsdotter, who lived in Rappestad, Ă–stergötland, Sweden. This is an area I could attend to locate their origins. There are also gaps for the parents of James Davey & Elizabeth Hocking, and Edward Nicholas and Susanna Phillips, all of County Cornwall in England. I also don’t have parents for Sarah Milholland and Sarah Duffield. These women were living in Pennsylvania and may have originated in Virginia.

--My mother’s side goes deep in American history, but all in the south, where some lines have dead ends, such as the parents for Samuel Johnston and his wife Elizabeth McCormack; and Benjamin W. Jones, who was married to Amanda A. Haley. Lots of gaps in the 5x-great-grandparents of my children.

I need some work products for my BCG renewal in two years. Perhaps one of the missing links would be a great place to start.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Your percentages are excellent for Generation 6 and earlier. Unless the local church registers have been lost, your Swedish gap looks like it might be the easiest to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked on that line so many years ago and don't remember why there is that gap. Now with ArkivDigital available at the FHC, I can try to tackle that line.

      Delete
  2. I also research my line and my husband's line equally so I like your idea of including the next generation as generation #1. Although I use RM7 your chart is extremely readable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen this scoring before. But, like you, I am 100% through gen 6. At gen 7, I have 51 of 64 and of course it gets worse from there. For 2022 I am focusing on my 4th great-grandparents, finding those missing 13 will undoubtedly help my score since they should lead me to the many missing names in gens 8 to 10. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.