Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of Aug 12-18, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:
Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
I attended no webinars this week nor did I check in with either of my cert study groups due to being in EDT and traveling.

Own Work:
In my spare time, I have entered data from my download folder to RootsMagic database. I worked on the Quigley family as I found funeral home records for John Vir Quigley, his parents James and Ellen Quigley, his brother, George, his niece, Doris, and his sister, Margaret. These records helped fill in some vital record information I didn’t have. Their remains are in a cemetery in Oakland and someday I need to visit the cemetery.

I have also been thinking about how to put together the genealogy class at the adult school in October. So far, I have only outlined what I want to teach.

Other:
This week of travel involved driving across Wisconsin and Michigan. We visited the museum and home site of the birthplace for Laura Ingalls Wilder in Pepin. We toured a brewery in Stephen’s Point. In Manitowac, we visited the maritime museum before boarding the SS Badger for a trip across Lake Michigan. We continued toward Ann Arbor, stopping in Lansing to tour the capitol building, and then to Detroit, where we visited the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village. It was wonderful seeing all of the collections of old things and buildings. I enjoyed the long ride on the carousel and the drive in a Model T Ford. On Saturday, we left Detroit for Chicago on the Wolverine train. After an overnight, we’ll start for home in the morning on the Southwest Chief.






Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments