Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of July 29-Aug 4, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
I attended no webinars this week, but was able to check in with my Thursday cert study group for about twenty minutes. It was after eleven p.m. in St. Louis.

Own Work:
  • I worked on a few blog posts. I did a lot of research for the blog on Margaret Lancaster for next week.
  • I also helped my husband’s cousin, Annette, find some of her ancestors on Ancestry and FamilySearch. She gave me a listing of the Sharp family so I can update my RootsMagic file. I also got some images of the Smart family and I gave her images of the Gorrell and Davey families. 
  • In St. Louis, I visited the National Personnel Records Center to view the Morning Reports on microfilm of the 4th Engineers, Co. E., as well as make copies of  the WPA file for my grandfather, William C Hork, CCC file for Norman’s uncle, Arnold Nilsen, and the civilian file for my aunt, Virginia Hork, who worked for the Navy at Mare Island during WWII.

Other:
We continued to visit with Norman’s cousins, Roger and Annette. On Monday, Roger took us up to St. Joseph, Missouri, where we toured the Patee House, a three-story museum full of old things. They had many different exhibits on the Pony Express, old St. Joseph, railroads, military, African American, toys, and more. After lunch at a Cajun restaurant, we toured the Pony Express museum. On Tuesday, Roger and Annette drove us down to Pittsburg, Kansas, where we visited with Roger’s sister, Kathleen, and her daughter, Gayleen. It was a very nice visit which we finished off with dinner at Chicken Mary’s. Wednesday, we checked out Hillcrest Thriftshop where Annette volunteers. I found a couple of shirts to buy.  Each night we played games and had a great time with them.

Kathleen, Gayleen, Lisa, Norman,
Annette, Mike, Roger
We left Thursday for St. Louis on the River Runner and got in late. Friday, I took Lyft to the NPRC and spent half a day there. When I got back, Norman and I had lunch and then walked around the old courthouse and the grounds of the Gateway Arch. We toured the arch on Saturday. 



In the afternoon we went to Forest Park to do some bird watching. It's a huge park and we only checked out a small portion. I got in over 10K steps on both these days.




Sunday, we checked into the Hilton at the Ballpark to start our riverboat cruise.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments