Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Feb 8-14, 2021

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed forty-eight (48) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. It is approaching a year that we have been on Covid stay at home. I did leave the house this past week to teach my online class from the classroom at the Acalanes Adult School on Monday and to the library to return books that were due. I spent time outdoors taking two walks with my husband and doing phenology with Shirley.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Week 6: Valentine—School Valentine Exchanges. I reminisced on the valentine parties we had at school. My mother made many of the valentine boxes for our classrooms.

Saturday Day Night Genealogy Fun—How Did You Meet the Love of Your Life. I wrote how I met my future husband at the trolley museum at Rio Vista Junction.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended Amigos and Cert Peer study group this week and both groups had nice discussions about a wide variety of topics in genealogy.

Webinars Attended: I attended one live webinar and watched two pre-recorded ones I had purchased from FGS Conference. I need to watch the rest before March 15.

  • Think Like an Archivist by Nancy Loe
  • I am Poor, Obscure, Plain, & Little: Researching the Invisible Ancestor by Michael D Lacopo
  • Whether the Weather and its Impact on our Ancestors by Jill Morelli

Client Work/Presentations:

  • Monday, I taught the second session of the Beginning class at Acalanes Adult School, but the internet went out before the Workshop class would start, so we had to cancel it.
  • Tuesday, I presented the second Deed Reading & Locating class with CGS, this week working on finding deeds in indexes on FamilySearch.
  • Saturday, I presented “Finding Records to Help Document Your Farming Ancestors” for the Genealogy Society of Washington County in Oregon.
  • I have also received two queries for client work!

Volunteer & Own Work:
I have not had time to work on my own families, though I received an email from a Hutson descendant and plan to reply soon. I have been working most of my free time writing lesson plans and creating PowerPoint presentations for my courses. After this spring, I will only have to tweak them, as I’ll repeat the courses again at the Adult School.

Other: I attended the Walnut Creek Model Railroad board and business meetings on Zoom and all three of my German classes. We also got our internet fixed and I’ve had trouble-free internet since Thursday afternoon – yeah! I can now teach my Adult school classes from home.

I finished reading:

  • The Dark Vineyard by Martin Walker
  • Billy Boyle: A World War II Mystery by James R Benn

I am working on:

  • They Were Her Property by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers
  • A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
  • Doing Grammar by Max Morenberg

Photos taken this week: Spring is coming soon!






Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments