Skip to main content

Week 6: Valentine – School Valentine Exchanges

This is my fourth year working on this year-long 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

My best memories of Valentine’s Day were during elementary school when we would buy small cards, sign our name, and drop them off in the decorated box in the classroom. Everyone gave cards and everyone received them. Two classmates were in charge of delivering the cards to everyone.

When my mother was room mother, she always decorated an apple or orange cardboard box she likely got from my father, who worked in the produce department at the local grocery store, LoRay. The boxes were covered in red, white, and pink paper along with lacy doilies, cupid cut-outs, and hearts pasted to them. My mother’s boxes were beautiful!

I sure wish I had a photo of one of the boxes she made. I tried searching on Pinterest for samples, but all of those boxes are too small.

The valentines we put in may have been store-bought, but nothing like today’s cards with commercial superheroes, Hello Kitty, or Barbie. They had cute kitties, puppies, hearts, and balloons.

The best part of the day was the class party with cupcakes, punch, and maybe those candied hearts with silly sayings: Be Mine, Forever Yours, etc.

It was lots of fun before boys and girls got too serious about each other.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Valentine's Day parties at school were lots of fun. I wish I had saved many of the cards I received at those class parties. However, I doubt my mother kept them in the house even until March 1! I liked the rule that if you had cards to give out, everyone in the class had to receive one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think they were saved at our house either, not with at least three kids in elementary school at the same time. I might have saved some of my daughters' cards, but their school papers are in a box in storage.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.