Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jan 25-31, 2021

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed forty-six (46) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I literally only left the house to get a book from the will-call at the library. On Sunday, I pulled weeds and pruned the roses. We had some rain this week, but I was in classes during the day.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Week 4: Favorite Photo—Nana with Her Sisters. I showed a shot of my grandmother with her two living sisters, Nellie and Loretto, all three wearing pearls.

Social History Adds Context to Our Families—An Example for My Coor Family. The SLIG institute class I attended this week was about using social history to add context, so I found some newspapers to describe James M. Coor’s decision to move to Erath County, Texas, and some possible resources to describe farming in late 19th century.

The Death of Ida Marie (Hork) Colmann. I like to write about those who had no children, so they won’t be forgotten. Her husband died early in their marriage and she lived as a widow the rest of her life. This post used newspaper articles to time her return to Montana from Southern California and the illness that led to her death.

Saturday Day Night Genealogy Fun—Your Best Summer Vacation as a Kid. I wrote about my trip to Southern California with Nana in 1969. I’m glad I have some photos from the trip that I took.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended only Amigos study group this week due to attending SLIG, and had a nice conversations with Kristin on Tuesday and Jacqueline on Thursday.

Webinars Attended: I attended the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy this week in the Advanced Practices in Social History. It was a great class and I ended up ordering four books from recommendations spoken about in class. We talked about thinking like a historian, family relationships, women, food, employment, medicine, military, secret societies, property, and death. I wished I had prepared something for the last day but I was exhausted.

Client Work/Presentations:
I worked during the weekend on my upcoming class on reading deeds.

Volunteer & Own WorkNo work this week.

Other:
I attended on the weekend the NMRA LD/Ops SIG, which was held virtually this year due to Covid-19. Saturday, they had clinics all day and I really enjoyed the one on wine cars by Tony Thompson. Sunday, they had two roundtables that several layout owners led. They also had links to layout videos, in place of in-person layout tours.

I finished reading:

  • Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

I am working on:

  • Song of the Lion by Anne Hillerman
  • They Were Her Property by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers
  • A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
  • Doing Grammar by Max Morenberg

Photos taken this week:
I got up early every day this week, because the class started at 7:30. We had some nice sunrises and sunsets, due to clouds in the sky. 

Sunrise

Sunset

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments