Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- How Did You Meet the Love Of Your Life?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!


Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings:

1) Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Write about how you met the love of your life. No fair picking "genealogy" as the love!

2) Put it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook post. Please leave a link in a comment to this post.

I met my future husband, Norman, at a trolley museum. I was a member of the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society and two of my friends, Bill Swindell and Jim Anthony, and I went up to visit the museum. All three of us like streetcars and wanted to see some up close. 

I don't remember the details. We may have gone up during their spring festival when they ran most of the cars that were able to run. Anyway, we enjoyed the trip and decided to go up again and later volunteered to work there. We did projects in the shop, working on the old cars, learned to run the cars, and did track maintenance outdoors.

Anyway, Norman lived there in the bunkhouse as kind of the caretaker. During the week, he worked at Blackwelder's in Rio Vista, where they made tomato harvesters. He was just a year or so older than me and was really interesting to talk to. I loved hearing the stories of him "riding the rails" in old box cars all over the country.  

One day he asked me if I would like to go to Vancouver to chase a steam train. It was a double-headed train with the Royal Hudson, and I said yes! It was over a long weekend and we flew up to Seattle, where we took the ferry to Vancouver. We spent a day on Vancouver Island, visiting Victoria and riding RDC Budd car. Then back to Vancouver, we chased the steam train and were at places where they had drive-bys so we could take photos. It was a fun trip.

After that, it seemed we were together for another year or so. It was hard as I worked nights and weekends at BART and he worked weekdays. But at some point we decided to get married. I don't remember the date we decided--no one really asked the other--but we were married on 23 Aug 1980 at St. Mary's Church after a quick 6 weeks of pre-marriage classes.

It has been fun being with someone who loved trains even more than I do, and I think he feels the same. 

Happy Valentine's Day!


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Trains are an uncommon common interest, but they sound like a lot of fun. Happy Valentine's Day, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you met becaues of a common interest that you still share. Happy Valentine's Day (a day late)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.