Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 14–20, 2021

I have completed sixty-six (66) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. Besides going to the History Center, I had a procedure done at Kaiser, picked a file at the court’s office, a ran trains in the cabs at the Train Club during our public open house on Saturday and Sunday.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

52 Ancestors—Week 24: Father’s Day—Abandonment & Divorce – Did George W Lancaster Ever See His Children Again? I wrote about the divorce between George W. Lancaster and Martha J (Polly) Lancaster. Martha remarried and moved to California while George went back to Texas.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – What Did Your Father Leave You? We wrote about the qualities that our fathers left us.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended the Monday Morning until my internet failed. I also met with Jacqueline, Amigos, Thurs PM, and Friday Peer group. They were all great sessions discussing our genealogy.

Webinars & Classes Attended
:
I attended four presentations this week:

  • NARA Website & Catalog by Claire Kluskens
  • They Had Names: Identifying Children Represented by Tick Marks by Denise E Cross
  • Finding Treasures in Academic Libraries by Jill Morelli
  • Finding & Using Maps by Andrea Renner

Client Work/Presentations: I co-hosted the California Genealogical Society’s presentation with Claire Klustens and met with the speaker for next week’s presentation to work out logistics. I also picked up the divorce cases for my client, scanned and sent them to him.

Volunteer & Own Work:
I met our new intern at the History Center on Wednesday. I do I can find enough work for her. I also took minutes of the board meeting on Thursday. We’ll meet in person next month.  

For my own work, this week I did some research for the weekly blog post. Since I’ll be in GRIP next week, I got the 52 Ancestors post all written and ready to post on Monday afternoon. The person I was researching was a newspaper reporter in Salem, Oregon, mostly covering the society and religion pages.

Other: I did major trimming of my California poppies and gave them a short sprinkle. It’s been over 95 degrees each day (so thankful for our window a/c).

The Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society had an open house this weekend and I managed to run trains for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday. We had good crowds on Saturday, but pretty thin on Sunday, which was Father’s Day.

I’m reading the following books (I know, I’m crazy):

  • Seven Clues to Home by Gae Polisner & Nora Raleigh Baskin – FINISHED!
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change by Rebecca Stead
  • Black Newspapers & America’s War for Democracy, 1914-1920 by William G Jordan
  • Girl Waits with a Gun by Amy Stewart
  • Researching and Writing History by David Dymond
  • Zotero for Genealogists by Donna Cox Baker

Photos taken this week: 





Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.