Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of May 31–June 6, 2021

I have completed sixty-four (64) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. Besides going to the History Center twice and Phenology, I had a doctor’s appointment on Tuesday and visited the County Recorder and Court Clerk offices on Friday. Saturday, I went with my husband to two nurseries looking for tomato plants.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

52 Ancestors—Week 22: Military—Lemuel J Sayre Death in the Civil War. I researched and wrote about the information found in his wife’s Civil War Widow’s Pension file. This pension was issued during the Civil War in 1863 and very different from those issued much later to the soldiers.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Your “Place Line”. We were to create a timeline of places: where we lived, worked, and attended school and church. Since I’d written about myself before, I tackled the question in the viewpoint of my parents and ended up with a full post and used photos to illustrate in some places. It was a great exercise and I can use this information when I work on the story of my parents.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended the Monday Morning, Ladies, and Peer Group meetings this past week as well as meeting with Jacqueline. Jacqueline and I are working our way through the Zotero book.

Webinars & Classes Attended
:
I watched an oldie from the Georgia Genealogical Society called “The Anatomy of a Civil War Pension File,” by Julie Miller. It was excellent, but the file I was working on was much older. Still, she had great tips: order the papers chronologically, and then transcribe or abstract each one, pulling out information and making to do lists for future research.

Client Work/Presentations: I did some pulls at the County Recorder’s office and made requests for divorce records at the County Courts office. I hosted the California Genealogical Society’s Introduction to Genealogy class on Saturday, where Pam taught Census.

Volunteer & Own Work:
At the History Center, I met with the Outreach committee on Tuesday, agreed to research work on Tuesday and Wednesday next week, and met with Maxine on Friday about our new intern.

For my own work, I did a lot of work on the Civil War pension file for Lemuel J. Sayre, which I then wrote my blog post about. When working on Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, I began organizing and inputting information into RootsMagic of my father’s and his mother’s information, especially about residences, that I had gathered but never entered. I found on Internet Archive a catalog for the 1913-14 school year for the Montana Normal School, where my grandmother attended and graduated.

Other: I watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone on Saturday. We are reading the book in our German class and thought it would help when reading the German. Our daughter visited us on Sunday with her dog, Doobie. He sure loved playing in the dirt outside as we were preparing the soil for our tomato plants.

I’m reading the following books: (I know, I’m crazy).

  • The Gilded Hour by Sara Donati – FINISHED! Loved the book, hope to read the sequel.
  • The Family Tree by Karen Branan
  • Black Newspapers & America’s War for Democracy, 1914-1920 by William G Jordan
  • Girl Waits with a Gun by Amy Stewart
  • Researching and Writing History by David Dymond
  • Zotero for Genealogists by Donna Cox Baker

Photos taken this week:



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Lisa I made a note to watch the video “The Anatomy of a Civil War Pension File,” by Julie Miller. I have a pension file that is pretty thick I need to go through again and abstract. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.