Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- How Many Children/Grandchildren in Your Birth Surname Line?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Our assignment this week from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:

1)  Consider your Birth Surname families - the ones from your father back through his father all the way back to the first of that surname in your family group sheets or genealogy database.  List the father's name, and lifespan years.

2)  Use your paper charts or genealogy software program to create a Descendants chart (dropline or graphical) that provide the children and their children (i.e., up to the grandchildren of each father in the surname list).


3)  Count how many children they had (with all spouses), and the children of those children in your records and/or database.  Add those numbers to the list.  See my example below!  [Note: Do not count the spouses of the children]


4)  What does this list of children and grandchildren tell you about these persons in your birth surname line?  Does this task indicate areas that you need to do more research to fill out families and find potential cousins?


Here's mine:

This won’t be hard. My Hork line goes back into Westphalia, Germany to the mid-1700s and I have certainly not researched forward every sibling of my direct line.

I created a Descendancy Report from Rottger Horoch in RootsMagic and selected 9 generations so I could capture the generation of my newest grand-nephew. Here is a snip of it.


Horoch/Hork Surname Line
4xGG Rottger Horoch (1729-1816) married Dorothea Voss (??-1800). They had 5 children and 11 grandchildren.

3xGG Johann Horoch (1773-1826) married Anna Gertrud Sommer (1770-??). They had 5 children and 13 known grandchildren.**

2xGG Joseph Heinrich Horoch (1804-1857) married Maria Catharine Trösster (1813-1874). They had 10 children, 16 known grandchildren.**

GG Johan Anton (Horoch) Hork (1843-1906) married Julia Ann Sievert (1854-1928). They had 10 children and 16 grandchildren.

Grandfather William Cyril Hork (1899-1967) married Anna Maria Sullivan (1892-1979). They had 5 children, 16 grandchildren, 36 known great-grandchildren, and 8 known 2x-great-grandchildren.*** 

** There are many children who have no listed spouse or children, probably because I have not yet researched them.

*** There are many in the current generations (6-9) where I do not have names of living descendants. There are likely more in both the 8th and 9th generations.

What does this list tell me?
For the earlier generations, I have perhaps not found everyone in the church records. Later generations (20th century) had smaller families. Until recent times, all of these families were Roman Catholic. At one of the sons became a priest. There may have been others who joined religious organizations and I don’t find their marriage records.

Someday, I would like to visit the area in Westphalia where they were from and see if I can learn more about their lives. Three children Joseph Heinrich Horoch came to the U.S. Perhaps more descendants of earlier families also came.

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Nine generations is really good. I wish I had that many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky to have church records to search. My short line is because there are no records before the 1820s in my villages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no too much record loss. But I suspect priests did not always record events. And then, too, the German handwriting is so difficult to read.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.