Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 21–27, 2021

I have completed sixty-seven (67) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I am still being cautious and only hanging out with other vaccinated people. I went out three times – train club twice for our shows and to Tony’s to operate on his layout. Otherwise, I was in class at GRIP.

Genealogy

Blog Writing: I wrote four posts this week!

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I met with both the Amigos and the Peer Group.

Webinars & Classes Attended
:
I attended the Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh (GRIP) every day this week from 7 am to 2 pm. My class was called “Answering the Call of Uncle Sam: Research in Military Records.” The instructors covered pension files, bounty land, compiled service records, unit & regiment records, pension laws, and more. I learned a lot and am applying what I learned in some research and blog writing.

I also viewed four webinars during the week, three of which were presented in the evening at GRIP for anyone to view:

  • What’s New at FamilySearch & the Family History Library by David Rencher
  • Navigating FamilySearch (at CGS) by Ralph Severson
  • Whose Estate is it Anyway by Kelvin L Myers
  • Besieged by Baxters: A Case Study for a Common Name by Rebecca Koford

Client Work/Presentations: I hosted the California Genealogical Society’s presentation with Ralph Severson.

Volunteer & Own Work:
For my own work, this week I worked on two blog posts about the military records we learned about in class, applying it to one of my husband’s collateral family. The second one will be posted this coming week.

Other: I continued trimming my California poppies and gave them a short sprinkle. I also pulled some dried grass in preparation for the crazies in the area who insist on shooting fireworks on July 4 (and the rest of the summer).

Another meeting of the Rails to the Bay (NMRA Convention) meeting on Wednesday. Just one more meeting and our convention starts July 6.

The Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society had their open house for a second weekend and I ran trains on Friday and Sunday. The other fun time was operating at Tony’s house on Saturday with Jim as my partner. I learned how he uses switch lists instead of shuffling the cards.

I’m reading the following books (I know, I’m crazy):

  • The List of Things That Will Not Change by Rebecca Stead – FINISHED!
  • Black Newspapers & America’s War for Democracy, 1914-1920 by William G Jordan
  • Girl Waits with a Gun by Amy Stewart
  • Researching and Writing History by David Dymond
  • Zotero for Genealogists by Donna Cox Baker
Photos taken this week: Some purple flowers from my walk:




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Wow...67 weeks of semi lock-down. I can't believe it has been that many. Congrats on your 10th blogiversary. It's a huge accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.