Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- What Did Your Father Leave You?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Because it’s Father’s Day tomorrow our theme from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is:

It's Father's Day in the USA on Sunday, so let's talk about our fathers.  Your father probably lived a complete life, and you probably have memories of him.  What memories and attitudes did he "leave" you with?

Here's mine:


My father, William Joseph Hork (1930-2007), married my mother, Lela Nell Johnston (1934-1992) in 1953. I was the oldest of six children. He left me the following:

1. My love of sports. My father loved watching all kinds of sports on television: football, baseball, golf, and boxing. I don’t care for boxing or wrestling and I can add soccer and tennis to the list of sports I’ll watch. When I was in high school, I remember attending the Oakland Raider games with him at the Coliseum. This was before the team moved to Los Angeles. We had end zone seats and it always seemed the team scored at the end where we were not sitting! He had one annoying habit, though. He hated traffic and we would always leave before the end of the game “to beat the traffic.” The Raiders were notorious for scoring big in the last two minutes of play and we would hear loud cheering from the parking lot. After the Raiders left, he moved his allegiance to the San Francisco 49ers and I think he became an even bigger fan. It might have been due to having more time spend since he was retired. He also followed the San Francisco Giants, which I do, too.

2. My love of vegetables. My father worked in the produce department at grocery stores. I learned about lots of different fruits and vegetables, and we always had plenty to eat. My mom had to learn not to overcook them. After he retired, he grew a vegetable garden and so do we. He liked cooking, especially stir fry dishes, the hotter, the better. I did not acquire that taste from him.

3. Being artistic. Both our parents were artistic and each of us children are, too, in different ways. Some like to paint; others like to draw. One brother liked making pottery. My father drew the signs showing sale items on large pieces of paper that were hung in the front windows of the store. He had these large permanent markers and his lettering was so neat. I think he wanted to be an architect, but there had been no money in their family for that. My being artistic really got passed to my daughters and skipped me. I create things but really need other people’s ideas to get me going.

Happy Father’s Day!


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I would not have guessed that you had spicy in your family! It's true that it is an acquired taste. And what a great example for his kids by encouraging you to eat so many vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny, that once I stayed with my aunt and uncle and the uncle was a salesman for one of the meat companies (can't remember right now without looking it up). Anyway, I guess I wasn't eating any of the meat served and my aunt said something to the sort "your father is in the produce business so you eat vegetables. Our family is in the meat business, so we need to eat the meat."

      Delete
  2. It so nice to have great memories of your father. I didn't know why you love greens so much and now I know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.