Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of September 13–19, 2021

I have completed seventy-nine (79) weeks of semi- lock down due to Covid-19. Except that this week we left on Thursday for a three-week train ride & visit to New York City. We’ll stay masked up whenever there are crowds or indoors.

Genealogy

Blog Writing: I wrote only one post this week. I completely forgot about Saturday Night Genealogy Fun.

52 Ancestors—Week 37: On the Farm—Amos’ Diaries Gives Us a Taste of Farm Life I wrote about my husband’s great-grandfather’s life in Missouri based on pages from his diary.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: 
I met with my AppGen partners for our weekly planning meeting and with the four Amigos on Tuesday. 


Volunteer & Own Work:
We continued working on the new library at the History Center and I left instructions for Ben for the next few weeks.

Other
I worked on the garden preparing the plants for our three-week vacation. My friend Elaine will stop by and do any spot watering that is needed.

We left on our train trip on Thursday morning, taking the San Joaquin to Bakersfield and bus to Union Station in Los Angeles, where we met up with our Special Interest Tours group. We boarded our private cars behind the Southwest Chief to Chicago. The trip to Chicago was very nice, especially aboard the dome car. The dome was small but large enough to hold all of us. There were two other seating areas which I sat in most of the time. I worked on the computer writing lesson plans but looked out the window and took photos. The food was delicious and the chef took good care of my dietary issues. I even got pancakes one morning. What a treat. We also listened to former Trains Magazine writer, Fred Frailey talk about the history of the line and received his book on the history of the Santa Fe Railroad.

We arrived in Chicago only an hour late and checked into the Hotel Monaco. They had a final dinner for us. The next leg will start on Monday to Vermont. We spent Sunday walking around Chicago, riding the loop, visiting the Art Institute of Chicago to see the Thorne Rooms, and having dinner at The Gage. It was very nice having a hotel room to sleep in and a nice hot shower.

I’m reading the following books.
Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon

Photos for this week: Some shots from the train & Chicago. 

 










Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.