Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- What Was Your First Real Job?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has our assignment for today:

1)  It's Labor Day weekend in the USA.  Do you have memories of your first real job?  What and where was it?  What did you learn from it?  How did it affect the rest of your life?

Here’s mine:

My first real job was working during the summer at my high school library at Las Lomas High School in Walnut Creek, California. Previously, I had done lots of babysitting where I was paid 50 cents per hour. This job paid minimum wage at $1.35 an hour and I received a check from the district office.


There were two parts of the job. One, I had to inventory all of the textbooks that were turned in at the end of the year. I checked them for any mars or writing, checked off that the student turned it in, and then put them away.

The second part was checking the inventory of the library books. I shelf read books and checked them against the card catalog. Sometimes a book was no longer on the shelf but was still in the card catalog, so we had to make a note of that. For this period, my friend, Beth, worked with me.

We made the decision to rearrange some cards in the card catalog because they looked like they were out of order, and then had to put them back once Mrs. Tigard, the librarian, found out. It seems that Mc and Mac names are interfiled because people might not know exactly how they are spelled.

It was a great job, where I could wear shorts and a T-shirt with no problem. We worked all day and had time for lunch. One afternoon, my dad picked me up after work and we drove to Candlestick Park to see the Giants play. Boy, was the weather completely different on the other side of the bay. I just about froze in my shorts and T-shirt.

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Lucky you! It wasn't my first job, but I worked in the main library (Doheny) at USC for a couple of years. I love libraries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I worked at Cal State Hayward's library for four years during my college days. Loved the job.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a great job for a student. I remember helping the librarian check in books, too, but it was during study period and for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I didn't mention, I was the president of the library club and I think that I had one semester as a library aide. I need to find my old report cards or transcript to know if it lasted a semester or a whole year. I probably should have gone to school to be a librarian. I'm now putting together the library at our historical society. It's lots of fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.