Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of July 11-17, 2022

I have completed one hundred twenty-three (123) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I volunteered at the history center, got a haircut, did phenology, and visited with Elizabeth twice.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Character – A Collection of Ancestor SignaturesI highlighted the signatures of my parents, grandparents, and a set of great-grandparents.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Your Plans to Travel for Onsite Genealogy Research I wrote about the trips Jacqueline and I have planned as well as one I would like to do in Texas.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:

  • I attended the military SIG at Kinseekers this week and the focus was on locating sources for WWII Army Air Forces personnel. I keep notes of the websites she showed us. 
  • I also attended the Sonoma County Genealogical Society’s board meeting where I was appointed recording secretary. 
  • Amigos met and we discussed genealogy numbering. It’s not easy to figure out when immigrants return to the old country and younger members then come.

Client Work/Presentations:
I worked on the school presentation on Monday morning and gave the presentation on Tuesday to the Placer County Genealogical Society. Just as I was to start, their Zoom meeting ended. Once they sent me a new link, I was able to give it.

This week I have been working on my presentations, syllabus, and in-class & homework activities for my Foundations 2 course for Applied Genealogy Institute I’ll give in October/November this year. I need to have it completed before going on our vacation to the East in September.

Volunteer Work:

  • I volunteered at the History Center on Tuesday in the morning and spent most of the time answering queries. 
  • I also hosted the Roundtable on Wednesday with Jacqueline. There was a good discussion about disasters and how they may have affected our ancestors. The Children’s Blizzard was mentioned and I found the book at a thrift store.

Own Work: I have done none of my own work this week.

Webinars Viewed: I attended the Dallas Genealogical Society’s all-day seminar on Saturday, listening to Kelvin Meyers speak about Texas records.

  • Plowing Through the Land Records to Find Your Ancestor
  • Tracking the Land Tax Records
  • Probate: More Than a Will
  • Texas Records & Repositories

Other: Our daughter, Margaret is visiting and we took two trips to Sonoma County to visit with our daughter, Elizabeth. On Monday, we went to Bolinas Bay to eat at the Hog Island Oysters. They were pretty good. I tried one raw, but I prefer them grilled. On our way back, we stopped to hike a trail in the Samuel P Taylor State Park and in Fairfax for ice cream. We drank tea from a nice tea café.

On Thursday, we met Elizabeth and Doobie in Sonoma. After a late lunch of Mexican food at El Molina, they wanted to go to a thrift store. I found some used mysteries. We were too late to see much of the Sonoma State Park and the Mission, though they let us look for 5 minutes. We wandered around the square, having ice cream, visiting a book store, and then eating a late supper at Valley.

I am reading:

  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Spencer Quinn—FINISHED!
  • The Division Bell Mystery by Ellen Wilkinson
  • Ghosts of Gold Mountain by Gordon H. Chang
  • On the Farm Front: The Women’s Land Army in World War II by Stephanie A. Carpenter

Photos for this week:




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I'm also a fan of the Chet & Bernie mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get into it but I really like Chet.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.