Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Best or Important Image or Document Recently Found Online

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!


Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1)  What is the best or most important image or document that you have recently found online? [Thank you to Linda Stufflebean for suggesting topics!]

2)  Write your own blog post, or add your response as a comment to this blog post, in a Facebook Status post or note.

Here's mine:

I was working today cleaning up files in my download folder that I had collected over the past months. I have a folder called genealogy and it’s where I put images I have downloaded but am not ready to process. This morning I decided to process some of them.

I had found several articles about my grandfather playing baseball in Hamilton, Montana. I carefully transcribed the articles into my RootsMagic database. In all of the articles, he is a pitcher. The earliest one was a baseball game played by the boy scouts.[1]

In another game on the high school team, he pitched and also “rapped out two clean hits.”[2]

After his service in the Navy during World War I, he continued playing baseball. In 1920, he was playing for the Knights of Birmingham, a Mason team. In one of the games, he pitched a no-hit game against the Valley Mercantile but in their next encounter, he was “wild and was hit for 12 safely.” The team lost 7 to 1.[3]

In 1922, he played for Naylor & Wheeler team.[4] Later that year, he married my grandmother, Anna M. Sullivan, and I find no more articles about playing baseball. They moved to Los Angeles, probably to look for better work.

It was pretty cool to find some articles describing the games, especially since I am a great fan of baseball.


[1] "Baseball," The Missoulian, 19 Apr 1914, p. 10.

[2] "Hork Beats Victor by Fine Pitching for Hamilton Team," The Missoulian, 10 April 1916, p. 6.

[3] The Anaconda Standard, 8 Aug 1920, p. 14.

[4] "Played Tie Game," Ravalli Republic, 26 May 1922.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. What a fun series of articles to have about your grandfather's baseball games. Vital records might tell us the "when", but newspapers give us all the neat social history in our ancestors' lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm happy when I find digital newspapers where my families lived. I found Girl Scout articles about my mom, too.

      Delete
  2. I guess when he married your grandmother he had to settle down and get a reliable job. I wonder if your grandmother ever got to watch him play in any games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite possible that is how they met. My grandmother loved baseball and was a SF Giants fan.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.