Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 27-July 3, 2022

I have completed one hundred twenty-one (121) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I volunteered at the history center twice, drove to Fairfield for three civil court cases, picked up my new glasses, and went to Kaiser for a mammogram.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Identity – Telling the Story of Those Who Had No Descendants: Arthur L. Gorrell I wrote about one of my husband’s great-uncles who had no children.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What Genealogy Activity Have You Spent Time On? I wrote about how I created a detailed timeline of my great-aunt’s life and how I can use that to begin writing about her life.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: 

  • Started the Monday Morning group meeting but the internet wasn’t working right, so I made someone else co-host and dropped off.
  • Met with the AppGen partners and we made plans about the upcoming registration.
  • Tried to meet with the Peer group on Friday, but my internet was acting up and I couldn’t stay connected.
  • Attended the first session of the Family History Academy course on Essential Speaker Skills.

Client Work/Presentations:

  • Went up to Solano County again to retrieve the family court cases for my client and sent them off with the final invoice.
  • Presented a talk on cemetery and funeral home research via Zoom to Placer County Genealogical Society.

Volunteer Work:
On Tuesday and Saturday, I volunteered at the History Center. I photographed probate records to send to the client and sent photographs to another requester. I'll be glad when Janet gets back.

Saturday, I gave the Vital Records class in the Introduction to Genealogy series for CGS on Zoom. Again, the internet acted up but I got my phone to be a hotspot.

Own Work:
I worked for two solid days on creating the timeline for the life of Helena Gleeson using mostly newspaper sources and filling census, birth and death records, and some other miscellaneous records. Soon, I’ll write her story once I get a deed record showing her selling her property in Oregon.

I also started on the PowerPoint and handout for the upcoming presentation I’m doing on school records.

Webinars Viewed: I attended no presentations this week besides the Family History Academy course.

Other: Non-genealogy activities this week included watching Wimbledon tennis every morning and Giants baseball in the afternoon and evening, going to phenology, and taking several walks. On one walk I took my binoculars and saw a female downy woodpecker in the woods behind the elementary school.

I am reading: I've been too busy to read this week except for the book club book which I need to finish before July 12. I'm over halfway done.

  • Around the World on Two Wheels by Peter Zheutlin (for book club)
  • Ghosts of Gold Mountain by Gordon H. Chang
  • On the Farm Front: The Women’s Land Army in World War II by Stephanie A. Carpenter
  • A Practical Guide to Swedish Church Records by Geoffrey Fröberg Morris
  • Fertile Ground Narrow Choices: Women on Texas Cotton Farms, 1900-1940 by Rebecca Sharpless
  • Working the Land: Stories of Ranch & Farm Women in the Modern American West by Sandra K Schackel

Photos for this week: The color theme this week is purple.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

 


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Really like those beautiful flowers you saw on your walks this week! Best of luck on your quest to finish the timeline for Helena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea to document your weeks. Lovely photos too. You have been very busy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.