Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Plans to Travel for Onsite Genealogy Research

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!


Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:

1)  Do you have plans to travel to do onsite genealogy research?  [Thank you to Linda Stufflebean for suggesting topics!]

Here’s mine:
I have lots of on-site research that I would love to do. There are none planned for the near future, so these are on the back burner:

Research trip to Texas. I would visit Comanche, Erath, and Rockwall counties as well as the NARA facility in Fort Worth and the state archives in Austin to see if there are more records besides what has been digitized by FamilySearch. I would also visit libraries and archives in the area. I made a trip to Stephenville in the 1990s with my grandmother and we visited family and toured the area, but I did hardly any research besides taking photos at cemeteries.

Research trip to Kansas & Missouri. My friend Jacqueline and I are planning this trip. Besides NARA Kansas City and St. Louis, we have libraries (Mid-continent Genealogy Library) and archives (she plans to visit the Eisenhower Presidential Library for a military item). We also have on our list the Tall Grass Prairie National Preserve, the Little House on the Prairie Museum, World War I Museum, and Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.

Research trip to Turlock, California. We are also planning a trip to Turlock to view newspapers at the library. I want to look at some special collections at the Cal State University Stanislaus library, take cemetery photos in Hilmar, and hope to find Grange and Farm Bureau records. Jacqueline wants to take photos at Lakewood Memorial Park, visit Allen Mortuary, and do research for I.O.O.F. records, as well as newspaper research at the Turlock library.

We have a Trello Board where we are recording the places we want to visit. It was helpful for me to view as I couldn’t remember some of the items. I sure wish the pandemic would be over so I can feel more comfortable traveling.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. We need to get these trips planned and GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So your plans are like mine: kind of vague and in the future. At least I'm not alone. But Turlock isn't all that far from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but the Valley has been a hotspot of people not being vaccinated. So we've been cautious. It's definitely doable.

      Delete
  3. Like you, I wish we'd get back to a much more normal life in terms of travel. I just don't feel very comfortable traveling yet either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have traveled to NYC and plan to again in September, but we ride Amtrak in sleeping cars and wear our masks everywhere indoors in the cities.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.