Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jan 11-17, 2021

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed forty-four (44) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I went on two neighborhood walks looking for birds.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
I published four posts on both blogs this week. The first three are from my studies in the SLIG migrations class:

Using Railroad Maps and Timetables to Discover How Ebenezer Moved to Texas.

Southern Migration: How John Coor’s Family Got from North Carolina to Mississippi Territory in 1811.

Migration from Montana to California After WWI. Another post using what I learned from the Migration class. This time I analyzed how Cyril and Anna Hork, my grandparents, got to California, likely by train.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Our "Academy of Genealogy and Family History" (AGFH) Nominees. We were to list our best story, photo, series, comedy, and biography.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: 
This week I attended the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy, taking the course “From Sea to Shining Sea: Researching Our Ancestors’ Migrations in America.” This was a five-day, 7 hour class from Annette Lyttle, Steven Morrison, Paula Stuart Warren, Ari Wilkins, and Katherine Willson. I really enjoyed the course and got lots of ideas on possible lectures to do and blog posts to write. I took the course to learn more about some context to add to family history writing.

I did get a chat in with Jacqueline, and attended Gena’s book club, where we discussed The Address Book by Deirdre Mask.

Webinars Attended: I only attended one webinar this week:

  • Dowered and Bound Out: Widows & Orphans Under the Law by Judy G. Russell

Client Work/Presentations:

I have worked during my free time on creating lessons for the upcoming Adult School session in February, a deed reading class for CGS in February, and a presentation to an Oregon genealogy society.

Volunteer, Client, & Own Work:
None this week.

Other:
I finished reading:

Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker. I have ordered the next book from the library. I really enjoyed the book and want to follow Bruno in future adventures.

I am working on:

They Were Her Property by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers

A Midwife’s Tale by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage

Doing Grammar by Max Morenberg

Photos taken this week:
Since this week was so focused on my institute class, I only have photos from my home. Here is the set up of my computer awaiting my course to start. Also, a group photo of CGS members who were also attending SLIG. 





Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. You are lucky you got into SLIG. I got shut out in the first minute of registration last summer. I am sure you learned a lot even though it was virtual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't get in. I am actually attending next week, too, for Advanced Social History. I hope it gives me ideas for more blog posts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.