Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jan 18-24, 2021

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed forty-five (45) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I got books from the will-call at the library, took a walk, and went to the meadow for phenology.

 Genealogy

Blog Writing:
I published two posts this week, catching up on the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks meme. Also, GeneaBloggers highlighted my Mam-ma’s Southern Family blog for its 10th anniversary. That was a nice surprise.

Week 2: Family Legend-Did David Shotts Participate in the Whiskey Rebellion with George Washington?. This is one of my husband’s ancestors and county histories written over 50 years past his death make this claim. There might be records at the Pennsylvania State Archives to help me.

Week 3: Namesake-How Many Named George Washington?. I found five family members with the first and middle name of George Washington. Four were in my family, and the other in my husband’s.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended several study groups and meetings this week: Monday Morning with 15 in attendance, Jacqueline, Amigos, and Cert Peer Group.

Webinars Attended: I attended several webinars this week. It seemed like one was available every day:

  • Did I Get Everything? A Checklist for Online Genealogy Research by Thomas MacEntee
  • Managing a Writing Project by Michael Leclerc
  • Death & Burial Practices in WWI & WWII by Rick Sayre
  • Another 50 Websites for Genealogy Gena Philibert-Ortega
  • Preserving Images Through Time with Story by Lynn Palermo

Client Work/Presentations:
I finished up some research on a missing guy in San Francisco for a client and have been commissioned to do more. I also got a query about presenting to a local society.

Volunteer & Own Work:
Our Contra Costa County Historical Society had a board meeting and I took minutes. We had a dress rehearsal for the Annual Meeting on Friday and the meeting was on Saturday. It turned out great. I managed the chat but there wasn’t much conversation there.

For my own work, I spent most of my free time working on lesson plans for the Adult School course which starts next week and the land class for CGS which also starts next week. My February will be one very busy month!

Other:
I have not finished a book this week. I started one book that I really did not care for. It started out as historical fiction but got into fantasy. I gave it back to the library. I had to pick up three books for the library that were on hold. All of the books I have been waiting for came at the same time. I don’t know when I’m going to have time to read!.

I am working on:

  • Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
  • A Midwife’s Tale by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
  • They Were Her Property by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers
  • A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
  • Doing Grammar by Max Morenberg

Photos taken this week:
I only took this one photo, of a windmill. It’s the last remnant of previous farming in the area. 



Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments