Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jan 4-10, 2021

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed forty-three (43) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I went out to the History Center for a half day, to do phenology, and two walks to the mailbox with my husband and one at the Marina to look for birds.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
I published four posts this week:

52 Ancestors-Week 52: Week 1 – Beginnings. I wrote about my children’s recent immigrant ancestors and their beginnings in the United States.

Accentuate the Positive Geneameme 2020. I participated in Jill Ball’s blog meme and some of the 20 questions she posed about the previous year.

Using WWI Muster Roll Records to Discover When Jack C Sullivan Was Promoted. I used these muster rolls to discover when he was promoted to Corporal and Sergeant.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What Do You Take After From Your Parents & Grandparents? I wrote about having the same cowlick as my grandfather.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: 

  • Monday Morning group had 17 of us attended this week. This was our highest number so far. Mary joined us for the first time and everyone was glad to see her.
  • Jacqueline and I met on Monday and discussed possible classes at GRIP and IGHR. We’re both interested in the military class at GRIP.
  • Wednesday, met with the Amigos group. We talked about RootsMagic and San Francisco Catholic records.
  • Friday was exceptionally busy. Met with Kristin about WWI and YMCA records. The CGS team met to practice for the Annual Meeting. Finally, I met with my Cert Peer Group and the six of us discussed our 2021 goals.

Webinars Attended: I only attended one webinar this week:

  • Genealogy Unplugged: When Are Offline Sources Better than Online? by James Baker

Client Work/Presentations:
No work this week.

Volunteer Work:
I went in person to the History Center during the morning of Tuesday. I was the only volunteer there besides the ED. I got a lot of queries taken care of.

Own Work:
I worked on the advanced class for the Adult School and am about half done. Two more classes to write before Feb 1.

I studied the Muster Rolls for WWI Army soldiers and found the 4th Engineers Co. E’s records. With them, I was about to discover when my great-uncle, Jack C Sullivan was promoted to Corporal and to Sergeant.

Other:
My conversation German class started up this week. It was nice to see everyone again. Our Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society had a meeting, which included creating a budget. We used Zoom again.

I finished reading:
The Address Book by Deirdre Mask. Our Book Club discussion on the book has been postponed until the following week.

I am working on:

  • A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
  • Doing Grammar by Max Morenberg
  • Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker

Photos taken this week: Taken from my walk at the Marina.




Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I love your wildlife photos, but the marina is beautiful, too. I enjoyed Jill Ball's geneameme this week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.