Skip to main content

A Fact that Makes Me Smile

The theme for this week’s 52 Ancestors is “A Small Detail I Love.” I discovered a small detail that warmed my heart. My grandmother, Anna Marie (Sullivan) Hork registered to vote in Los Angeles, California, as a Democrat. Her husband, William Cyril Hork, registered as a Republican.[1]

She chose the party that matched her convictions and did not just follow her husband’s advice. In fact, this could have been the start of their disagreements about things that later led to their life-long separation.

#52Ancestors: Week 36 – “A Small Detail I Love”

This is my ninth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


[1] "California Voter Registration 1900-1968," digital images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com), 1926, roll 19, Los Angeles Co, Los Angeles Precinct no. 1100, Ann M Hork & William C. Hork. 


Copyright © 2011-2026 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. That's amazing that you can find that sort of detail about your ancestor's political preferences. To the best of my knowledge we don't record that kind of information here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. Good for her for standing up for her convictions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.