Skip to main content

SNGF -- Your Unfinished Genealogy Projects

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans: 

It's Saturday Night again - 

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of GeneaMusings:

1)  What started but unfinished projects do you have?  Define one or more of them, and how far along you are in the project.

Here's mine:
Like Randy, I have many, many unfinished projects. I have a folder on my computer called “Work in Progress” filled with file folders of various family surnames and topics, as shown here:

Within those files are more files. Here is an example of the top few folders:

Most of these are images downloaded from FamilySearch, MyHeritage, or Ancestry, that I did not have time then to deal with them.

Digging deeper into the Military Folder, I have a WWI Study folder, where I’m keeping track of various members of my family who either served, or at least registered for the draft. My goal was to learn as much as I can about researching WWI resources and telling WWI soldiers’ story. I have been especially interested in my great-uncle’s service with the 4th Engineers in Company E.

However, this past year, I have not looked at this overall folder at all. I have been focused on my 12 for ’26 project, where I am writing and researching one family line from my daughter’s great-great-grandparents back.

So far, I have written about thirteen different family lines. I am hoping by the time I am finished in January 2027, I will have decided which family to use for my BCG (Board for the Certification of Genealogists) renewal by writing a 2 or 3 generation KDP (Kinship Determination Project). That will give me nearly 18 months to finish researching and write up the genealogy.

I’m sure I have more unfinished projects. Who doesn’t? I should do more complete bio-sketches of my ancestors. I write a lot about them, but not a complete sketch. 


Copyright © 2011-2026 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments