Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:
It's Saturday Night again
-
Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!
Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) How do you use Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools to help you understand the lives, history, and geography associated with your family and your ancestors, that aid your genealogy and family history research?
2) Please share the ways (at least one way!) that you use AI tools in your genealogy and family history research.
Here's mine:
To be honest, I don’t use AI much. I enjoy the artificial
intelligent tools that makes full-text search available at FamilySearch
and look forward to this technique at other genealogy websites. I also enjoy
whatever tools are being used to enhance OCR capability in newspaper research.
I have not used it much besides the above. I tried having it analyze my research results but realized I should be doing the analysis myself. I tried having it make a table for me from research results and that seemed like a better use of AI.
I have also used AI as an editor, asking Claude to give me ideas on how I can improve a piece of writing. I feel this is an acceptable use, as it doesn’t differ from asking a friend to help with editing.
Any work with AI should be by giving it data and asking specific questions about it. Asking it to do your genealogy research is asking for trouble. That increases it to hallucinate and give false information that sounds good.
But my real problem with AI is the amount of data centers that must be built so everyone can use AI. I don’t like the amount of energy and water the data centers use. I also think there needs to be controls on the use before AI gets out of hand.

Comments
Post a Comment
All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.
If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.