Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of September 14–20, 2026

Outside activities included phenology, bird watching, train club show, and trips to National Park sites with Jacqueline.

Genealogy

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I met Traci this week at the History Center to work on the Maffei collection. We sorted out photos and transferred them temporarily into folders and document boxes. On Thursday, I took the minutes for the CCCHS board meeting.

On Saturday, I presented a talk about researching school records for the Sonoma County Genealogical Society.

Genealogy Meetings: 
I attended the Military SIG this week. The focus was primarily on some good resources for WWII research.  

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I spent Thursday and Friday researching the Shotts family and wrote two blog posts.

Blog Posts Published:

An Old Powder Horn
For the theme of “A Document with Personality,” I wrote about a newspaper that described a powder horn one of my husband’s ancestors once owned. The description was so detailed that I had AI make an image of it.

Daniel Shotts and Mary Bishop Shotts of Ross County, Ohio – 12 for ‘26
Finally, I got some research and writing finished for this month’s surname. I wrote about Catherine Shotts Gorrell’s parents.

SNGF: Your Unfinished Genealogy Projects
Randy Seaver had us write about our unfinished projects. I have many and when I’m finished with 12 for ’26 I’ll begin on some of them.

Courses Attended
I missed both the South Carolina Research class and the America 250 class this past week, but had time on Friday and Saturday to view the recordings. These two classes overlap for a couple more weeks, so I have to choose which to watch live.  

Webinars Viewed: none this week.

Other:
This past week, I took Jacqueline to several park sites this week: John Muir National Historic Park, where we toured the house, hiked Mt. Wanda, and visited the gravesite. I also took her to the Strentzel Meadow where I do phenology. Our husbands joined us for drinks at Five Suns Brewery and then dinner at Rox’s. On Wednesday, we visited the Eugene O’Neill house, then a trip up to Mt. Diablo (which is a state park) and some bird watching at Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek. Lastly, we met our friend Stewart for dinner. On Thursday, we met at the California Genealogical Society’s Library in Berkeley. I drove her back to where their motorhome was parked and we did some bird watching at a pond near Coyote Hills Park.

Saturday, I joined the Mt. Diablo Bird Alliance trip up Mt. Wanda. The highlight was seeing a Townsend’s Warbler and a Great Horned Owl. Sunday, I worked the set-up troubleshooting during the train club’s show.

I am reading: 

  • The Liberation Line: The untold story of how American Engineering and ingenuity won World War II by Christian Wolmar
  • Das große Giggler Geheimnis by Roddy Doyle
  • The Dentist by Tim Sullivan

Photos for this week. 

The new library space

At the top of Mt. Diablo

At Eugene O'Neill's house with our tour guide in the center

O'Neill's desk

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives, but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2011-2026 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments